Monoblock Tap install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after some advise, basicly I am installing my new bathroom, just in the early stages of working around the plasterer.

Now being used to normal taps, with normal 15mm tap connecters.

However on my basin I am going to be using a monoblock tap which has two 15mm tails about 8" long, that screw into the tap and have little rubber washers on them. These tails sit far too close together to use service valves at the ends, I am going to have to use 15mm soldered connectors, then kinda "S" off to the service valves.

Now all sounds straight forward really, apart from the techo speak (hehe, that is a joke, can never remember the right names for things), I just wanna know if anyone can offer any advise before I cut off the water and start this part of the job?

Sponsored Links
It's traditional to gently prise them apart to the distance that suits the situation.

First fit the tails though - you won't get them on the tap if they're bent.

Also, fit the tails before you mount the tap on the basin - 100 times easier than when the tap is in situ.

Also, having bent them once, don't bend them back again, because this would risk fracturing the neck of the tubing near the threaded end.

Softus said:
It's traditional to gently prise them apart to the distance that suits the situation.

First fit the tails though - you won't get them on the tap if they're bent.

Also, fit the tails before you mount the tap on the basin - 100 times easier than when the tap is in situ.

Also, having bent them once, don't bend them back again, because this would risk fracturing the neck of the tubing near the threaded end.

Thats a great help softus, I did think about bending them a little, but wasnt too sure if I should, hopefully give it a go the weekend.

Am I best using some sort of sealer on the thread? I'm worried that if I get a leak I'm not gonna be able to tighten them up, lol.

Sponsored Links
offroader said:
Am I best using some sort of sealer on the thread? I'm worried that if I get a leak I'm not gonna be able to tighten them up, lol.
I generally don't, but if it helps you feel more confident then you could smear a smidge of silicone grease on the 'O' rings, or vaseline.

Don't be tempted use a silicone-based sealants though, like LSX, or a bathroom sealant.

If you're really nervous you could connect up the tails before you mount the taps on the deck, and check for leaks first. This is where pushfit connectors really come into their own.

PS If you do use pushfits, like John Guest or Hep2o, look very carefully at the state of the ends of the tails. Often they quite sharp, which risks cutting the 'O' as you push on the fitting, so I'm in the habit of disassembling Hep2o connectors so that I can feed the 'O' ring over the end of the tube by hand. Labour intensive? Not when you're done it thousands of times and can quite literally do it with your eyes shut. Slow? Not when it guarantees a record of never having a leak on a pushfit fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back