Monobloc tap tails 10mm too short! How best to fill the gap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tomorrow I plan on installing a new monoblock mixer kitchen tap to replace the very old and leaking one.

In preparation, today I purchased a pair of JG Speedfit tails 15mm x 300mm (as the current tap connection is via speedfit).

With the tails in the tap body, when I rest the tap on the edge of the worktop to get an idea of whether the tails will reach, they appear to me to be about 10mm too short?! If this is the case, how best can I bridge the additional 10mm needed? Looking around on the DIY sites I spotted https://www.toolstation.com/jg-speedfit-cylinder-connector/p60385 which if suitable would mean that I could use the original flexi tails supplied with the tap and still retain the pushfit onto the 15mm pipework. Not visible in the photo but there are service valves downstream on both the hot and cold feeds.

Does this sound like a plan or is there a better alternative for me to investigate?

Thanks

Attachments

• Under sink pipework.jpg
    Under sink pipework.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 219
Sponsored Links
How would you do that if you were doing the job, please?
I’d try the old and new hoses first in case they are long enough. If not, I’d remove the two flexible hoses and use a compression straight connector with an extra inch or so of 15mm copper pipe if using the same hoses. What ends are on the new hoses?

Sponsored Links
The tails I bought yesterday are JG and have pushfit onto the 15mm.

The tails supplied with the tap has 1/2 nut onto the 15mm

Well I’d trial fit both as you may not need any extensions. If you do, it won’t be a major hassle to work out what you need .

Many thanks. Went with your 1st suggestion as the 10mm gap that needed bridging was wishful thinking on my part! 130mm added to the existing pipework.

Kitchen sink before (3).jpg
Kitchen sink after (2).jpg
Kitchen sink after (1).jpg
Kitchen sink after (3).jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back