Tails to consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am refurbing a first floor flat. The metres are in the basement of the flat below. The flat i am working on is being supplied by a 6mm cable from an isolator in the basement to the consumer unit in the flat. I need to run new tails from the basement to the flat. It will need to run up the outside of the building.
I have had two differing opinions....
1. I can run an armoured version of the tails up an outside wall.
2. No i am not allowed to run it outside

Dont know what to do? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Running the supply using SWA externally is fine, as prenticeboyofderry said the CSA seems a little small. Will it have it's own meter? If so it should be 16mm2 tails for 60A supply or 25mm2 for 100A obviously then take the length of the run into the equation (for volt drop)

It wasnt even tails, it was 6mm twin and earth! :confused:

Why do you think that's wrong?

We would run it in 16mm.
The run is approx 20m does anyone envisage any probs with this?

The problem I envisage is that you don't know what you're doing.

You need to employ an electrician to do this work for you.

You can climb down from your soap box, the only thing im doing is running the cable, the sparks is gonna connect it, he was the one that told me that it could be done, when i went to wholesalers to price the cable, there was asparks in there, that started tutting saying that wasnt allowed, but didnt give an explanation. Just wanted to clarify!

Just wanted some clarification! Have had some issues with some of his practices. And after what i heard i thought i would get some advice.

You would need to know what load is expected in the flat, the main fuse rating, then you could calculate using the 20m run, your voltage drop for the best sized conductors.

You are also likely to need permission from the building freeholder unless you follow the same route as the existing feed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back