Take a shower door off to fit a seal on the bottom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a wet room in our ensuite of our new house. The water does love to slide under the door and head off to the corner of the room by the loo as the floor (IMHO) hasn't got enough slope on it.

That aside having recently regrouted the floor around the shower area (due to a leaking wet room as there was almost no grout left in some places under the powerful shower) I would also like to stop so much water sliding under the door.

I know I know that the tiles should at some point be re-laid to give a better drop but I will leave that to next year (my Tiler went funny on me for the re-grouting and vanished so I had to get the gear and do it myself).

I bought a longer bottom seal for the glass but it is too hard to get on as it is a bit oversize on the flappy bit. I can get it onto the side of the door so the size is OK but can't get it onto the shower door bottom.

What I want to do is fit it, mark it, cut it down a bit and refit it.

I though the easiest way would be to take the door off - is it that difficult?

I have attached a few photos but basically it is 2 x glass to glass hinges with a slotted thread on the top and bottom of each hinge pin. Is this an adjustment for tension or can I just unscrew the pin and take the door off to fit the seal.

Cheers for looking ;)

Sponsored Links
If there is hinge adjustment with that screw it can't be much - I think I can see a nylon washer in there.
Try taking just one pin out (if it will move) and I think the hinge pieces will come apart.
If that doesn't work, then its off with those allen screws - but an assistant to take the weight would be handy in both cases!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Just to close this one out sort of. I finally worked out how to slide the bottom seal I had bought onto the door without removing the door.

I did try to remove the door but got absolutely nowhere with that plan.

Silicon spray over the seal, bit of perseverance and sweat and lots more silicon spray as it went on and yippee. Took about 20 minutes sliding and spraying and sliding. Wonderful stuff that spray.

Didn't have to trim the seal and now almost nothing runs under the door seal. Fabulous!

Cheers for your advice as ever folks.

macker6464

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back