Take off the tape or leave it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
If I were you I would take all the tape off & asses what you have with the aim of getting it repaired, re-taped & re-skimmed. It’s a mess & papering over it, with the tape left on there or removed, sure won’t make it look a lot better.

The ceiling looks like the old fibreboards? and to be honest, whatever you do with it, you are likely to see marks in the paper.

As you say that is the worst bit, you might be able to get away with removing the existing tape and levelling out the joints as much as possible with this thin tape and a decent flexible filler.
http://www.trade1st.co.uk/productdetail/Mesh-and-Joint-Tape/609.aspx

As it's already painted you could apply another mist coat to seal the filler and make the surface better for the paper to adhere to. Sizing fibreboard isn't a very good option.

You should then line the ceiling with lining paper before applying a heavily embossed paper or fairly thick blown vinyl, which will minimise the imperfections.

But as RichardC says, the best thing to do is get it repaired, or even replaced, as the time and effort you put in might still not give you a decent end product.

The ceiling looks like the old fibreboards?
Looking again I think your probably right :confused: ; In which case forget re-skimming it, overboading is probably the easiset/quickest route to take & then skim that.

Sponsored Links
As mentioned, that probably is fibreboard, and there is not a lot you can do with it.

Possibly you have not bargained on replacing the ceiling completely.

You may be thinking about patching the ceiling back up as it was.

Obviously the tape looks awful, it was a daft method they used back in the 50s/early 60s.

I don't think filling the joints will look particularly good on that type of ceiling.

Fixing wooden battens to the joists over the joins, then repainting the ceiling, may be a quick fix solution to this mess. I know it won't look particularly nice, but it will cover those joins and, imo, won't look like such a deliberate bodge as tape does.

The best, and expensive, solution would be to (pull the ceiling down if you can), reboard with plasterboard, scrim tape the joints, and skim with plaster all over.

Or you can reboard and joint fill the joints.

I'm not sure you are prepared for this kind of inconvenience and cost though.

Thanks for the info. Its a council house so i should really get on to them to repair it. If you seen how the council left the house after the so called improvements, I dare to think how they could fix the roof. Come to think of it they only repaired part off that roof when it caved in!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back