Taking a shower waste through a timber frame wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I'm posting here 'cos it's about routing the shower waste rather than all the bits and pieces of the shower install itself. Pic Attached

This is my 25 year old shower base, and it's on blocks (dunno how I let that get by, all those years back, not my work.) The whole, small ensuite is on for refurb, and I'd like one of those stone resin 40mm thick shower trays, at floor level. I'm not afraid of lifting the floor (weyroc), but need to ask... is it ok to simply drill through any joists (I expect 2), and then out through the big timber between the floors (I don't know the proper term)? Out through the blockwork I'm ok with.

Finally, should the whole floor, about 5' square, be over boarded? If yes, with what?

Thanks.

CG

Attachments

• IMG_20200924_182450.jpg
    IMG_20200924_182450.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 225
Sponsored Links
You’re not supposed to notch 40mm pipe into joists, takes too much of the joist out. Route the pipe between the joists if possible, or down into room below, or you’ll need to sit the tray on a plinth
If you’re tiling the floor then yeah it’s likely you’ll want to reboard/overboard with ply or cement board with noggins across all board joins, unless existing floor is rock solid and done properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back