taking a supply from a lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Been asked to connect an electric underfloor heating mat to a lighting circuit as the tiler has installed it to the wrong place. I asked customer to ensure tails were installed to a double socket where I could spur from. The total load of the mat is less than 3 amps and their is only 600 watts of lighting on this circuit. To install a socket to this point would be about 3 days work and customer doesn't want to rip apart her nicely laid solid wood floors or plastered walls etc. Electrically it would work but I don't like taking spurs from any circuit except a RFC. Should I stick to my guns and so no, its got to be done from a socket or should I fit a FCU from lighting circuit and be done with it. What would be your recommendations.

Sponsored Links
As long as the existing circuit can support the additional load, it doesn't matter what form it's in whether it be an extra light, socket or UFH.

The usual requirements for RCD protection and or supplementary bonding etc still need to be complied with of course.

Sponsored Links
As above. its a radial circuit. Do your diversity calcs on that 600watts of lighting (600watts????)

(At full whack that's 2.6 amps) add in your 3amp for the floor heating, so that should be OK if you were doing standard cable/loading calcs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back