taking apart ultrasonic welded parts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
high all crazycanuck is back with a problem .
I am thinking of making battery packs for cordless drills and other battery
type packs .
problem is not all drill batterys are screwed together, some are ultrasonic welded .
Question -- how do i take them apart without damaging the casing so i can install new battery pack and rejoin casing

Sponsored Links
you have to cut them

once two parts have been welded together they are no longer two parts but one

thanks for the reply john D
I thought maybe a good heat gun might make it plyable enough to force apart I want to save the boby for reuse.

you might find a hot knife tool works (I think soldering equipment manufacturers make them) or a diamond cutting disk in a dremel but it is thermoplastics engineering.

Sponsored Links
the body is ABS plastic , do you think acetone or the like might soften it enough to work.

On the odd occasion I've wanted to get into one I’ve found the hot knife method works very well & allows you to stick it back together again afterwards. All I use is stanley knife blade over the gas but if you plan on doing it on a regularly basis, a proper electric knife as John suggests would probably be a good investment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back