Choosing Einhell drill and multi tool

Allen key blade changes on a multitool would be a deal breaker for me, too much faf.

Sponsored Links
Allen key blade changes on a multitool would be a deal breaker for me, too much faf.
Is it too much of a faff for sporadic DIY use, though? My first multitool (the original Fein, bought in the mid-1990s) came with an Allen key mounting and I was happy enough with it - possiblhy because there was no alternative available (in fact there was the Fein, or nothing).

Fein #2 had a semi-QR blade mounting which meant I didn't have to go hunting for an Allen key set every time I changed blade, but by that time I was carrying a small folding Allen key set in my tool box or tool belt as other tools such as my circular saws had gone over to using Allen key blade mounting bolts so...

I can't say it's would be a deal breaker for me because a blade goes on and often stays on for a few days. If I were changing blades every 5 minutes, then it might well be, but I find I don't. And if it saves money?

Last edited by a moderator:
i now only use saxtonblades , excellent quality and value.
I have used expensive Freud blades (Mitre saw & Circ saw) for various jobs and had them sharpened , but a saxton blade is the same price as the cost of sharpening , and cuts as well. I use various tooth on the mitre saw 60/80 on a 250mm and 48 on the 165mm circular saw
Work well cutting MDF & Plywood and worktops
https://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/tct-...s/165mm-blades/tct-circular-blade-165mm-at48t
Also has a thin kerf, which apparently is useful for extending battery life on cordless

I have also carried out a lot of work with the multitool, and again having tried a lot of different make blades , saxtonblades came out on top - lasted a lot longer.
I started out with this kit
https://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/dewa...blades/mixed-sets/13-blade-case-set-quick-fit
and found most of the blades very useful for various jobs i had to do.

All DIY use - but as i say , i have done a lot to the bungalow now

That multitool blade set looks good, will have to buy one of those!.

Sponsored Links
This is what I use at the moment and it just won't die!, amazed really at what it's put up with over the years.

I'm after the Milwaulkee, but this just keeps going so no point wasting money I suppose.

For what it cost it's payed for itself 10 fold, I had a Worx and that lasted 2 or 3 jobs before sh1tting itself.

6a4fe1d6e430aa6bd01106bd1b5a8ca6.jpg

I have to agree. Today at work I had to adjust the angle of the blade on my Fein about 5 times in a period of 15 minutes. Pulling a lever rather than using an allen key was significantly faster.

I've got the Einhell drill+driver and the multi tool now. It's a shame we can't get the extra year free warranty (only available for customers in Germany, Austria or Switzerland) but 2 years isn't bad.

What bits do I need to get for the driver? I've got a load of old bits, as shown in this photo (the top ones are from my Bosch electric screwdriver, the others are from old tools that I no longer have) but they're too short to go in the driver and the extension I've got is too long and moves up and down when it's in the driver. Are there longer bits that I need to get, or do I just need to get a different, shorter, extension?

drill+driver
combination drill - with a normal chuck
Impact Driver - should take those bits OK , on a dewalt they lock into the "chuck" or whatever its called on a Dewalt impact driver

you may need all the bits, as it depends on what screws you intend or have to use with the bits

mu guess you have PZ1, PZ2, PZ3, PH1, PH2, Ph3
bits M15,M20,M25, for torxs
A 1/4" adapter for sockets
and maybe some sockets there also

should all be written on the bit itself

Most of what you'll do around a house will be PZ#2 and Ph#2. To a lesser extent you'll use PZD#1, PZD#3 and maybe Ph#1 and Ph#3. Torx or Allen keys you may never come across. You might use slotted screws, but TBH they are best dealt with using a hand screwdriver rather than a power driver. But=y others as and when needed. The one long bit which might prove useful is a 50mm long PZD#2. I'd suggest getting a long magnetic bit holder, 150mm, in addition to the short holder as it can let you get into tight spots where you may find that having the driver body near to the screw head results in it being forced away from the screw (think about the screws holding a door handle rose in place to see what I mean)

Impact drivers can be hard on low cost bits, so if using an impact driver a lot you will need to consider buying appropriate impact driver bits

I can use the bits using the extension with the drill, as shown here:

but as I say, the extension isn't secure in the driver and moves up and down, and I can't use the bits without it, as they're too short and don't protrude enough.

So I either need a different extension, or longer bits, but hopefully I just need the right extension rather than having to get all new bits.

Does the extension still do that if you pull back the metal collar as you push it in? I don't see why it won't fit, that said, you need to use impact bits in an impact driver. Regular bits might break in an impact driver.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/impact-driver-bits/s?k=impact+driver+bits

Yeah, if I don't pull back the metal collar when I push the extension in, it will just pull right out again. I uploaded a video here showing how loose it is when inserted properly.
https://youtube.com/shorts/NHuvOt53DXQ?feature=share

EDIT: I see that the impact bits you linked to are all much longer than the bits I have anyway, so I won't need to use an extension with those.

if the bits are of moderate quality or above, they should have the steel alloy identification stamped on them. good hand tools are usually CrV (chrome vanadium) alloy, a durable combination of hardness and toughness. Usually bright, shiny and silvery

Impact driver bits wear out fast, so are made of CrMo (Chrome-Molybdenum) alloy, which is harder and stronger. They should also be thicker and heavier. Usually dull dark grey matt.

very cheap tool s may be made of carbon steel, which is rubbish.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back