Which Impact Driver?

Do you deliberately pick out the cheapest trades you can find?
I do.

Or do you just stand behind people teliing them how to do their job (whilst not having a clue yourself)?
I do. In times I don't , the jobs go bad.

I wonder how many people have told yo to do one over the years before they have walked off on you.
No walk offs so far. Same like you are unable to walk away from arguing even though you hate it.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Easier to DIY without planning. This is how life is, and you can never tell when DIY is needed. For DIY, power is usually available. Using battery in this setting is not too useful given their disadvantages. But people are free to buy batteries if they want. I don't prefer them and so I suggest corded. As expressed in the OP, there were concerns about battery life. The OP is not unaware of the problem.
The OP isn't really concerned about battery life he's likely never to need to bang in more than about 20 screws, he's been using battery tools for decades and turns out he's only ran out of charge about twice in all that time if at all. According to the manual the driver he ended up with is good for 560 screws, I don't think he's worried.

Buy a respected brand rather than a cheap unknown piece of Chinese tat
Ok, punch a hole in a respected brand and see if it burns your house down same as a hole in a cheap one will. Accidents can happen, a drop, a bump, etc.

Sponsored Links
Ok, punch a hole in a respected brand and see if it burns your house down same as a hole in a cheap one will. Accidents can happen, a drop, a bump, etc.
not wishing to downplay genuine concerns but you are set on extreme worst scenarios rather a reasonable outcome
quality ce tools and from reputable manufacturers will not tend to suffer from drops and bashes as they are built to accommodate such mishaps

Makita dtd152 for me cheap as chips but dewalt and Milwaukee supposed to be excellent too. Go with brand you have the batteries for us probably the best advice

Blup

Easier to DIY without planning. This is how life is, and you can never tell when DIY is needed. For DIY, power is usually available. Using battery in this setting is not too useful given their disadvantages. But people are free to buy batteries if they want. I don't prefer them and so I suggest corded. As expressed in the OP, there were concerns about battery life. The OP is not unaware of the problem.
with lithium there is actually no planning just charge the batteries you have as you use them in the same way you check the materials you need for the next task in hand
its almost like you are choosing to be argumentative rather realize most things you seem to comment on are not really very helpful to most as they seem to be opinions not based on helpfull well rounded genuine situation more gleamed from the greater you tube world as most scenarios you mention will never touch most on here
but off course just my meaning to be helpfull opinion :giggle: (y)

Last edited:
not wishing to downplay genuine concerns but you are set on extreme worst scenarios rather a reasonable outcome
Accidents are never reasonable. All you have is just blind faith that the worst can't happen. Damage is just one of the many drawbacks of batteries. I don't see the need for batteries in most DIY scenarios.

with lithium there is actually no planning just charge the batteries you have as you use them in the same way you check the materials you need for the next task in hand
DIY'ers have significantly wider range of activities than trade who focus on a specific process. Therefore you don't do things the same way. Batteries then becomes a hinderance.

Accidents are never reasonable. All you have is just blind faith that the worst can't happen. Damage is just one of the many drawbacks of batteries. I don't see the need for batteries in most DIY scenarios.
sorry you have lost me "accident" "blind faith "
i now wonder if you live in the real world
why would you equate my comments to mean i am not worldly and you assume i have no conception off danger and i am unable to weigh up the risk when in fact my comments mean i realize the dangers and i am able to keep them in proportion in a real word scenario where they are given the respect and care need to keep things safe

its almost like you are choosing to be argumentative...
Too true. The situation described by Mr Nutter sounds like he hasn't used a cordless tool since about 2003, if then. He doesn't seem to understand that current Li-Ion battery technology means that even if you run out of battery, a quick 10 minute top-up on the charger will often give you enough charge to finish the job. His comments about weight also show how out of touch he is. This morning I've been using my little Milwaukee 12 volt oil impact driver to make up a couple of lightweight frames. It weighs less than an old B & D corded drill, it is smaller, on a "poxy" little 2Ah battery it has more than acceptable run time to drive a few screws, but it hasn't caught fire, and I didn't wreck any screws. I've actually been really impressed with it over the last 3 years, although for most work I prefer something a bit more powerful:

20230528_090145.jpg

BTW that is a late 1960s all-metal B & D D520 and is pretty heavy for its' size. I understand the point about batteries always being one of future availability, but the trade brands all stabilised their battery connector designs a long time back (Makita LXT 18 volt has been around for pushing 20 years), and I do understand the issue of DIYers not having the need for cordless, but even there there are some alternatives, especially when it comes to corded drill drivers, like the Parkside (green) below:

20230528_090852.jpg

Note the relative sizes, and for a further contrast here is the Milwaukee 12 volt SDS:

20230528_091605.jpg

The SDS weighs noticeably less that the B & D

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see Mr Knock on head is a closet corded fancier but refuses to admit to it. If cordless is so good, the corded would have been discarded. It is right of him to keep the corded. At times, you just want to get on with the job and no messing around with strategic planning, batteries, charging, and the charger. Notice he doesn't include the bulk of the charger that takes up weight and space, and multiple batteries. More batteries he has, more chance something damages one of them, and bonfire goes the house, or van, or shed.

As an Amateur DIY person, I am happy with the Aldi/Ferrex brand stuff, they (Like Lidl/Parkside) use Samsung battery packs. Light, easy to charge, and I have a brushless angle grinder, also a chainsaw, impact drill, and hedgecutter. I have enough battery packs in reserve for any task that comes up, they have been reliable enough for me and my usage. I also know they have a decent guarantee on the items, and can return in store with no fuss if required. beats getting out the extension lead all the time, especially in the garden, a 50m extension lead will not be light, and take a bit of time to spool up again at the end of the job. I can fully understand that professionals would choose differently, they will be using them hours per day, unlike me. It does not matter if it is aldi or lidl, for amateur use either will fit the use case quite well and at a similar outlay. If it was a no name chinese battery pack, I would be watching the entire charging process for safety...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back