Taking asbestos guttering to the skip?.

In which case you may want to ask your council if they will remove it for free.

A friend in Essex got them to do that recently as it was below 40Kg

Again counties differ, but worth a try.

We bought the house from the bloke who bought it on "right to buy" he must have been quids in!.

Due to my other dealings with the Council.I very much doubt they will do anything for free, think the charge £200 to collect it from your house plus disposal fee..

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
But, as a private householder, you're entitled to what you pay your council for as well though, don't you think?
Yes, but we (with bigger vans) are discriminated against. Plus a lot do take the pi$$. It's embarrassing how some tradesmen abuse the local tip. I have a skip on my drive as we speak as I'm doing several little jobs plus a job at home.

I'm a tradesman that owns a van. I have no choice but to hire skips.:(

Have you tried applying for a book of tickets?. I think you get 6 or 12 to a book and you can use your van for personal waste then. That's how it works in York.

What is the local tip homeowner entitlement? I probably go less than a half dozen times per year.
Not a clue.
A few years back, apart from things like "one fridge / washing machine per year", I doubt there was a limit on how much you could use our tip.
Certainly with a large garden, I could easily take four or five cubic yards of green waste down there on a weekend.
Nowadays though, it seems that the majority of stuff is separately chargeable.

Different councils have different policies/rules/charges etc.
One local council might operate a 'no trailer/van' policy, a neighbouring council might not bother, another might insist on 'limited' number of visits controlled by books of tickets, another might insist on charges for trailers/vans, etc. Others might have height restrictions with overhead barriers, etc.

It could be as easy as asking, but often the telephone conversation might not be congruent with practice on the ground.
Then the rules and policies may change without notice.
It is, literally, a postcode lottery.

I took a couple of downpipes (asbestos cement)
I also took my neighbour's identical one

I had to make an appointment and they only asked it to be double wrapped in builders polythene and taped
Because i mentioned my neighbour's pipe, they said he'd have to come as well so I cancelled and waited a couple of weeks and magically the pipe became mine

I had to bring a council tax bill, but the system has changed now and we have a sticker to fit to the car to identify us as locals.

I look it in an estate car, windows down in case. Dressed normally
The guy came out dressed like Darth Vader and unlocked a skip.
I put it in, he locked the skip

Different councils have different policies/rules/charges etc.
It is, literally, a postcode lottery.

Previous house (so c. 10 years ago) had some (4?) corrugated asbestos cement sheets and I found out the (London) council policy, which was to outsource it to the City of London.

I assume that so much building work happens there (and there are always early 20th century building being knocked down) that there is constant stream of asbestos to be disposed of and they had contracted to dispose of the asbestos for all bar one of London's 33 boroughs.

I phoned and spoke to a chap and when he asked what council I was in I asked why. He explained that the council has to take a reasonable amount of asbestos and that they may make a reasonable charge for this, and each council has different values for reasonable. Some do it by weight (X kg per year), some by area (Y square metres of board per year) and some by a combination of weight and area. And the charge varies as well.

I had to double bag it and if there was a charge it was not much. We were not living there at the time so wrapped it up and left it outside the front the day before the collection was booked and it was gone when I next went there.

My current, but different, London council accepts asbestos at one of the tips. It has to be double bagged and you have to get someone (possibly dressed as Darth Vader) to unlock the special container.

Sponsored Links
Back