Taking out an external window and making it into an full open entrance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I live in a 1960's bungalow and I am thinking about taking out an external window measuring 2.5mtrs wide X 1.5mtrs high and converting it into a full opening so I can walk into the conservatory and make the room a little larger.
Can anyone tell me if there is a lintel above the window or will one need to be fitted and will i be able to just remove the brickwork?
Thanks Dave

Sponsored Links
There should already be a lintel above the window to support the top rows of bricks and/or potentially roof joists/trusses -posting a photo would help.

The brickwork below the window can be removed as it's not structural; i.e. you can make a window taker by going downwards but not wider as that would require replacing the lintel.

Again a photo would help, and of course a quick chat with a structural engineer would settle things very quickly.

Bearing in mind that technically you need doors for regs? Also , based on my wooden double glazed conservatory (triple wall roof) you need doors or it will Ben chuffing freezing in winter

How high does the window go, what's the height of door that it will allow you. The opening's 2.5Mtrs wide, but the door will only be about 800mm, so do you want French doors, or a central door with windows either side. Do I assume that you're going for DG units.

Stavros is essentially right; you'll already have a lintel above the existing window so it's an easy job, but a SE isn't needed as the lintels got to be there already. Tigers made a good point about building regs for external doors, but as you've got the conservatory there already, it could be argued that it's no longer an external door. Your choice as to whether you apply for it

Sponsored Links
If you don't put any doors in between house and conservatory, it would contravene Building Regs,

You might find that there is only a lintel supporting the inner skin, as many properties built in the 60's used the timber window frames to help support the outer skin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back