Tank thermostat fitment on solar twin coil tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a new twin coil tank fitted to my heating system for use with my new boiler and the currently fitted solar system.

the solar system was already fitted to the system when we bought the house this summer. everything was working fine, but the boiler needed replacement and system was using 2x tanks.

I have noticed the thermostat for the DHW/boiler shut off is at the bottom of the tank near the solar coil, should it not be higher on the tank?

Ferris

Sponsored Links
If it's the cylinder thermostat wired to the boiler/heating system then yes it's too low.

It might be the thermostat that turns the solar pump on when the panel is warmer than the bottom of the cylinder.

regards

Hi,

its the boiler thermostat, the two solar system thermostats are at the top and the bottom of the tank. so where should this thermostat be, at what level?

cheers,

Mark

Sponsored Links
thanks for that Londonboy, without looking/at a guess its currently between the in and out of the solar coil.... grrrrrr. wonder why the hot water is so bl00dy hot!

What have you gained by having a single tank fitted?

I would always prefer two seperate tanks as they are cheaper and control themselves better.

Tony

I was recomended the single tank by a few plumbers.

I had a single DHW in the old airing cup and wanted this moved to the loft to make more room.

The old solar system had its own tank and a hot-rod into the DHW tank and was told this was wrong.

so the soulution was a single twin coild tank and a new pump station instead of the old seperate pump etc. anyone here really good with Solar DHW set-ups? I am not 100% of what my plumber has done and would love a sanity check.

Ferris

The single two coil tank is the usual and most expensive solution and works well although its not necessarily the most effective as the solar storage is not that large. They are also rather over priced because the word solar comes in and thats seem as a profit boost!

I have a customer who has had someone else fit solar panels and a new cylinder for about £4000 when she does not even have any loft insulation!

I prefer a two cylinder solution as the combined storage can be larger and the cost much lower but obviously more space is required although in a loft that is not usually a problem.

Tony

maybe a future project would be to get and instal another tank for the solar system.

PS - just gone mad on insulation, but as your example there was bugger all up there in the first place (1930's house and 1980's extension). mad!

my plumber still thinks it doesnt matter where the boiler cut-off thermostat is located on my twin coil tank...

Move it up yourself, otherwise the water will get hotter and hotter.

Cut the insulation away carefully and put this piece in the lower down hole.
Make sure its fully touching the copper!

The boiler control stat must be ABOVE the boiler heating coil.

On some the boiler coil is BELOW the pipe connections to that coil!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back