tanking a cellar - confused by products, help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Read a lot of posts and googled product data sheets from vandex and sika.
i have a cellar in a victorian semi which i need to stop some water ingress from the external side brick wall. The external wall has a sloping bank 6' to 4' topped by concrete. the rear wall of the cellar is at ground level. after rain water comes in , between the sound concrete floor and where it meets the bottom of the wall. if that makes sense.

all i need is a dry cellar. it will not be a living space.
i have looked at options and think tanking slurry seems best for what i need to do. im a competent diyer and brushing on coats is preferable for me.

sika seems to require 3 6mm coats of their various products. vandex seems good , bb75, but unsure if i need to use pk75 polymer or cemelast (do i need more than 1.5bar hydrostatic protection?) vandex goes on thinner so it seems to have far greater coverage than sika. should i use the vandex unimorter, vandex plug when there is only seepage? also although it seems better value than sika, the cemelast only seems available by post.

I intend to insert vents (at high points?)
i feel as though i may be overthinking this.

any advice or help welcome

Sponsored Links
The photo is looking back at cellar window. The bank on the left is against the problem cellar wall.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 252
Unless you use a dimpled membrane system like Newlath or build a masonry skin to hold your membrane in place then you take a bit of a chance with the products you've mentioned, as you say it's nigh on impossible to judge the hydrostatic pressure anticipated and thus determine what exact product to specify, get it wrong and the pressure will simply blow it off the wall. And product mixing/application must be absolutely meticulous. Speak with the relevant technical departments to see exactly what combination of products they might recommend.

Surely it must be reasonable to estimate the hydrostatic pressure anticipated. the height of the outside level is known relative to the floor of the cellar. I'll speak to Mr Vandex though

Sponsored Links
Depends completely on the ground conditions and the saturation and the existing wall doesn't it. That and an understanding of what the numbers actually mean of course. Speak with Mr Vandex though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back