tanking and insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The back wall of my kitchen is a retaining wall. I currently have it exposed brick / render and am about to insulate and plasterboard it, 50mm PIR / PUR. I'm thinking I should tank the wall: it feels pretty dry but there is soil / rubble / who knows what behind it up to 2m height and we have had quite a dry summer. However, cementitious tanking slurries need to have only breathable materials on top of them. Because i'm insulating i'll be having a vapour control layer on the inside, ie. non breathable.

insulation needs to be impermeable, tanking needs a bit of breathability. Does that mean tanking is not compatible with phenolic foam insulation?

Sponsored Links
I would go with a cavity drain type membrane then dryline with insulated plasterboard.

It isn't compulsory that you drain the cavity unless you have got very high moisture levels, as long as it is sealed along the bottom you should be fine.

Sponsored Links
Cement render or slurry is not completely waterproof, so you could get some interstitial moisture if you then seal the wall with a non-breathable material, or dont have a drained/vented cavity to deal with any moisture.

so what is the best way to tank AND insulate? If it's vented or drained , isn't that a way for moisture to get behind the insulation from the inside and form interstitial condensation?

I should add that the wall has had 15mm of extruded polystyrene insulation and plaster on it for 20 years: i've pulled it all off and it doesn't feel that damp underneath. It's just that i'm about to cover it back up with 50mm PUR and a brand new kitchen, so want to get it right...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back