'tanking' interior wall>plastering. The process?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So i'm thinking i'm going to have a bash at this myself since we can't trust anyone to put the time & effort in to do it properly. I'm just wanting to know what the process is as i don't want to miss out any key section or product to be used etc.

The party wall in our living room is damp & then a little bit of what was the old external wall (but is now the wall that leads into the extended diner) and also the front window wall (only a small segment is damp).

So i'm thinking...

* hack off all the cowboy plastering & take it back to brick.
* As we're in no rush (sort of) & want it done right (definitely), then allow the brickwork to dry out fully (how long is a piece of string?!)
* Wash the brickwork down with an anti sulphate solution (brand?)
* Tank (suggested product?) in a horizontal direction & then in a vertical direction. The cowboys who did our wall did a 2ft band from the floor, but no idea if they did in opposite directions or not.
* Then we can get the plasterers in & board out, but not dot & dab.

Is that the correct process? Have i missed anything?

Just a few things...

* I've read to tank in a horizontal direction, let it dry, tank in a vertical direction, let it dry. I've also heard to tank in those directions without allowing drying time. Surely one has to be better than the other?
* I suspect tanking the entire 8ft height is needless. Question is how high to go? I know the damp on the original plaster before the cowboys came in was at around the 1.0mtr mark. Therefore i'm guessing tank about 1.5mtr.
Then there's the chimney breast - also 1.5mtr?
* I've heard of [something - i forget what] needing to be added to the tanking mixture when it's being all mixed up in the bucket that will then allow plaster to stick to it. Is this ringing bells with anyone & is it required?
My guess is not since it'll be battened out i guess.

Also, not related to re-plastering, but a question all the same...

* The other side of that wall (our neighbours living room) is worse than ours - it's very wet on the surface. How would tanking our side effect things? Could their damp still penetrate through to our side? Would it make their side worse as it would be unable to penetrate? It's a 1930s cavity wall if this matters.

T.I.A.

Sponsored Links
Get in touch with Sovereign Chemicals Ltd, and ask them about their Hey Di hi system? Its called something similar to that but at the moment cant think of the right name I have used the system a few times (Years ago) and is a good tanking system so get in touch with them and they should put you right, I used to be a Sovereign agent years ago , I think they are based in Barrow in Furnace in Cumbria..

Get in touch with Sovereign Chemicals Ltd, and ask them about their Hey Di hi system? Its called something similar to that but at the moment cant think of the right name I have used the system a few times (Years ago) and is a good tanking system so get in touch with them and they should put you right, I used to be a Sovereign agent years ago , I think they are based in Barrow in Furnace in Cumbria..
Top man! That name rings a bell. I've spoken to many different people & everyone has their own view on how to tackle it but this was one that's been mentioned a few times.

Plus it's just up the road from me too, so bonus.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back