Plastering a damp wall, plastering a wet wall? Same process?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had some cowboys come to fix the damp in our living room. One wall (the good wall would you believe) wont dry out & looks like so:

Not done properly. No anti sulphate wash. Salting badly. Just will not dry out.

That is a properly damp wall. We know this is supposed to get treated for salts with the anti sulphate wash.

Then on to the bedroom...

This wet patch was caused by a leaky roof (which has since been repaired).

The plaster was wet through when we took the paper off. Worse than the first image shows. It's dried out to the surface, however 5 or so months on it is still damp. It makes the anti mould paint on there blister which i'm told is through the plaster being still wet.
When i stick a damp reading all around that painted bit it reads quite high 25-43. When i stick it into sections that didn't get wet they read very low (5-10).

So i was thinking that it may be best for that plaster to get hacked off back to brick & re-done.

Question is, will this need treating like the wall in the living room with the anti sulphate wash & whatever else that may need using, or since it's only wet & not a 'proper' damp wall, can it just get plastered?

The plaster that's on there right now will be original 1930s breathable stuff. Lime based i imagine? Would putting modern day plaster on there, patching/blending into the old stuff cause problems? As i was thinking of just chipping out the wet section & not the entire wall.

In short what i'm wanting to avoid is:
1) having a wall that wont dry out (like the living room)
2) having a wall that keeps showing salts

& i'd like to know how to approach that.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps you would like to update the people who gave you much advice regarding your defective roof - what happened next and how was it "repaired"? Maybe you can take us through the repair process, with any available pics would be nice.

I notice that damp is already penetrating the embossed paper on the old valley rafter outside corner, and at a couple of other places?

Perhaps you would like to update the people who gave you much advice regarding your defective roof - what happened next and how was it "repaired"? Maybe you can take us through the repair process, with any available pics would be nice.
Sorry i'll do that. I meant to do it this bank holiday weekend just gone but we've had loads on with this house that i just forgot. I'm pretty much just getting 11pm onwards online so i just use this to find things out.

When i get a spare slot of time i'll update all the threads where i was given help.

As for the ceiling paper, that has since been ripped off along with the plaster above it to let all of that breathe.

Still, no offence but can we keep to the wall & not the ceiling or roof. I'll update those threads this weekend hopefully.

Sponsored Links
Any takers on this one?

Spoke to the reps at work today (but then, they're not plasterers) & they reckoned that it "should" be ok to just chip off back to brick, let it get some air to it for a week or two & then plaster it. As it's not a 'proper' damp wall (in that it's permanently damp) & it's just got very wet from a leak then it wont need any damp treatment - no special damp plaster, no anti sulphate wash, no tanking, none of the damp treatment, just normal plaster & away you go.

Just wondered what the plasterers of the forum thought.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back