Sulphur based render and plaster skim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had the plaster chipped off to a metre high and then the wall covered in a sulphur based cement render, then skimmed with plaster, i also had a damp course injected into the bricks at the same time, due to a damp problem. This work was carried out a week ago today, some areas of the plaster are still wet although it appears to be drying very slowly, also it seems as if salts are comming through the plaster around the area where its dried and where it`s still slightly wet, is this normal with this type of procedure?

Sponsored Links
Ask the guys who did your job,.... ;)

I would but they`ve gone on holiday for 2 weeks, thats why i asked on here

Sponsored Links
OOI, what is "sulphur based cement "?

I know of Sulphuric Acid Resistant cement, and blast furnace cement, but haven't of it.

p.s. it is normal to have mineral salts crystallising on the surface of a damp wall. as the water migrates to the surface and evaporates, it carries dissolved minerals with it, and leaves them behind when it dries. just brush them off. When the wall is fully dry they will stop (this might take a year or so). Do not wallpaper it as the crystals will tend to push it off, although you might use a very porous non-vinyl matt emulsion when it "looks" dry. the better-ventilated the wall is, the quicker it will dry.

OOI, what is "sulphur based cement "?

I know of Sulphuric Acid Resistant cement, and blast furnace cement, but haven't of it.

p.s. it is normal to have mineral salts crystallising on the surface of a damp wall. as the water migrates to the surface and evaporates, it carries dissolved minerals with it, and leaves them behind when it dries. just brush them off. When the wall is fully dry they will stop (this might take a year or so). Do not wallpaper it as the crystals will tend to push it off, although you might use a very porous non-vinyl matt emulsion when it "looks" dry. the better-ventilated the wall is, the quicker it will dry.

Thanks John,thats the reassuring answer i was after, as for the sulphor bit, thats what the lads told me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back