Vertical damp course?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I’m fixing rising and penetrating damp issue on my external wall. After taking off the plaster board and hacking back to brick I can see there is a vertical join in the brickwork (presumably old extensions).

My original plan was to use dry rods along the first brick course but as there is a break along the brickwork do I need to do anything special/additional?

After dryrods I was planning to fix up the bricks a little with sand / cement mix before tanking and then plastering with dry zone damp resistant plaster before multi finish and painting.

Given the state of the wall behind the plaster feeling a little out of my depth - any guidance on the vertical join issue and general approach greatly appreciated!!
IMG_3643.jpeg
IMG_3644.jpeg
IMG_3615.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You should hack off back to brick all damp suspect plasters and board. But your finished surface has been pulled out and might need a plasterer to bring it all together.
Remove any timber thats been built-into the walls.
Your extension looks like its just been banged up against the house wall. Its not tied in.
Some use Stitching. I dont like it but it might help?
Is there a FF floor above?
EML full length floor to ceiling and about 500mm wide, 250mm each side of the join will help.
All cables should be in safe zones and protected.
Is the floor solid? Can you post pics of the outside of the wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back