tanking on skim plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am doing my shower 900 x 1200, the 1200 side is MR Board & the 900 side is going to be skimmed how long do i waite before i can tank the skim coat & dose the tanking primer seal it or do i need to seal it & with what, the tiles are 600 x 300 porcelain
thanks

Sponsored Links
If tiling, there's no point in skimming the plasterboard.
If you need to tile over skim, technically you need to wait for a month. Common sense says you tile when you're fed up of taking baths and the wall looks dry.

Answered the same question in plastering but if you read it again carefully, I believe he’s not actually skimming the PB. ;) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
hi,no need to skim 900 side wall,use tilers primer to seal all the walls 1st,let dry up to an hour depending on room temp,then use tanking all over the shower area ,allow to dry overnight normally,the longer the better,you can buy full tanking systems for shower areas from your local tile shops.

thanks guys
Now you’ve got 2 lots of answers but, thankfully, not that different . But please don't multi post in future, it only causes confusion for the regulars who, mostly, keep a check on all of the forums anyway (or at least I do ;) ); it also goes against forum rules but this time the “mods” missed it!

hi,no need to skim 900 side wall,use tilers primer to seal all the walls 1st,let dry up to an hour depending on room temp,then use tanking all over the shower area ,allow to dry overnight normally,the longer the better,you can buy full tanking systems for shower areas from your local tile shops.
Hi MHTILER; read the other post in plastering to get the full picture ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back