tanking shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am tanking the shower area off 1200 x 900 the 1200 side is MR boards (stud) & the 900 is going to be new skim over old sand cement, how long do i waite for the skim coat before tanking primer can be used
thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the old render not good enough to tank straight onto? If you do skim it, you should leave it at least 10 days, probably 14 when as you don't wan't to risk any moisture under it.

some of the old render/ come off with the old tiles & left lots holes showing brick work so i think the plasterer will have to make good & skim,
the old rendered wall which is what we are talking about is 2 meters wide & was tiled all over before i removed them, so 900 of of the wall (shower ) will be tiled & the rest painted so hence the skim finnish, any other options would be well recieved
thanks mate

Give it a light skim over with tile adhesive ..this might dry a bit quicker than skim.If you have any deep holes fill them with your old tile bits and skim the adhesive over them..try not to have any areas that the adhesive is too thick or you will have different drying times.....

Sponsored Links
Correct me if im wrong but when sovereign came out to survey my wall for me to tank it, thye told me to chip off all render back to bare brick treat the surface with anti sulphate then apply the tanking in 2 stadges, then after a certain amount of time which i cant remember, to sand and cement plaster it then the finish coat.

sorry ddan, cant resist this but who was the sovereign of the time, was it qeen victoria i know i asked for some advise but i think we have moved on a bit from that
thanks anyway mate :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back