Confused about using MS board and skimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I am renovating my bathroom and plaster boarding over the old board as they are in a right state before getting the plaster in to do the whole room. I’m fitting a shower 1200 x 800 and was going to use standard 9.5mm square edge board then tank the shower area after the skim.
I’m now confused as some advise is to use MS board in this area or even aqua panel. If I’m tanking the shower do I really need to do this? If taking makes the wall 100% waterproof is it not overkill.

Sponsored Links
If you are at the stage that you are ripping it out and re-doing the lot I would go the whole hog and use aqua board in your shower area.Do it once do it right..Also use 12.5 mm plaster board in dry areas not 9.5mm...

Thanks for the reply. I don’t have the space to start framing out to support the aquapanels, as from what I’ve read they need to be mechanically held in place. So my intention was to screw and very small dot and dabs ‘12.5mm!’ plasterboards onto the existing boards, then use a recommended tanking kit. Or am I wrong regarding the fixing of aquapanels.

EDIT: Having read a bit more, I think I'm going to go down the 12.5mm boards, skim then use the Mapei Shower Waterproofing Kit. It seams pretty highly rated by tilers so who am I to judge. But please feel free to correct me or guide me in another direction if you know better. Adice is always appreciated as I'm very green regarding preparing for tiling.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back