Tap closes over a few months.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two taps that do this and after 12 years I am fed up with taking them apart and putting them back together - what the heck is the cause ??

The two taps are on gravity fed HW - so they get opened all the way on each use, to get the required flow. Since our cold water pressure is high, the opposite numbers (cold) never get more than fractional opening and they have no problem.

Symptom is that over the course of a month or two the number of turns available in the tap mechanism reduces. I then dismantle and reassemble and all is well for a few months and then we do it again.

I assume / the thread inside is unwinding and I can only assume this is because the hexagonal section is clear of it's housing and therefore the thread can spin freely. But I don't know - hence this question.

Is my diagnosis anywhere near ?
Is there a solution to this ?
Thicker tap washer maybe ?

Thanks so much in advance.

Sponsored Links
Seen this quite a bit I find as you do that greasing cures it temp, I think what actually happens is the hexagon shaft in the similar shaped sleeve gets dry and "locks" against the corners as it is turned.

The design is so tap heads have a telescopic action and do not rise as in traditional taps when turned on. It's just poor design/manufacturing that causes the problem.

I now change the blinking things once they start. HW washes away the grease faster than cold and the tap expands more too. Proper hot water silicone grease helps but I think once the tap has worn it's always going to happen.

Yes, I've found the same problem with the cheap taps in my mother's bathroom. They are also of the non-rising head variety with a hexagonal tube and hex rising innards.

Always the cold for some reason. Gets really stiff so it doesn't close off properly. Take it apart, pack it with sili grease - 2 months later same problem.

Sick of lubeing them now. i'll bin and fit some decent Bristans.

Sponsored Links
So I went to a few plumbers merchants today (as I was passing) and they all said that kitchen monoblock cross head taps can be a little bit tricky to revive and I should contact the manufacturer for a new cartridge.

I was wondering if that's cobblers in the forums opinion - and if it is valid if anyone knows who makes something like this tap. . . .

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=139248

The difference being that mine does not have a stepped shank joining the spout to the mixing block - the joining piece is gently flared.

Tap is at least 15 years old, gravity fed 0.2bar minimum - if that's any use.

I found out the tap is a Damixa unit with the £108.00 cartridges from Lunns. So now I am planning to replace the entire unit with a 1901 Bristan article at around £95 - offering 15L pm at 0.2 bar this should be perfectly adequate.

Thanks once more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back