Tap gland thread keeps falling out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 15 years ago I moved into my house and we had a enamel bath with separate taps on but didn't like them so rather than replacing the lot I bought some chrome tap convertors which replaced the top of the taps to old fashioned crossbar ones ,

Yesterday one stopped working and no matter how far I turned it no water came out , I assumed it was the washer .

Easy ? , no! , first of all screw under tap head was seized so I had to drill it out , secondly gland didnt have a washer on it had a solid plastic dome which had come loose from thead where you would normally fix a washer .

You can't get these anymore so I had to buy a new gland , neck needed to be very long because crossbar on tap has a long neck on it so it needs to reach the thread.

However the problem I am having (for 2 days now, wife wanted to go shopping !) The depth of the original tap body is so deep the when you turn try and turn tap off the part with the washer on comes off thread and falls into tap , I can't put a deeper washer on it because the washer screw won't allow it , I really need a longer thread so when turned off the washer meets the tap body rather than falling in , are these available in different sizes ?

Help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Was trying to avoid getting new taps because I know nuts will be seized on bottom of taps and they are a nightmare to get off

Sponsored Links
Do you think putting a metal washer in base of body of tap would help ? surely this would prevent rubber washer going to far down and falling out of gland.

In all honesty Neil, what you are trying to do is a patch repair that may or may not work or last. IMO the easiest path would be to put energy into releasing the back nuts and replace as Stormer suggests.

Use a wire brush to clean the threads, apply some penetrating oil and use a back nut box spanner, they may be easier to remove than you think.

I can't put a deeper washer on it because the washer screw won't allow it , I really need a longer thread

Help would be appreciated
See if you can get a longer threaded washer screw and put 2 washers on:idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back