mixer taps one side has a tap washer the other side has not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help here, i want to change the tap washers on a kitchen sink mixer tap i took off the right hand side, normal tap washer tap configuration, took the other tap apart expecting a normal tap washer and their was a long rod about 5 inches long going right down into what looks like a brass connection under the sink about 6 inches long which has a couple of connections in 15 mm tube to a water heater, i'm puzzled as to what to do with the side that has the long rod instead of a normal threaded tap gland with a washer

Sponsored Links
Does your tap have three connections going into the bottom of the tap?

Sounds like a tap on a vented water heater - the hot tap will drip as the water in the heater warms and expands.

Don't put any obstruction in the pipework between the hot feed and the tap - the heater will rupture under pressure.

it just seems to be a normal mixer tap, underneath the one side has a normal 15mm connection with a normal tap valve the other side on the cold has a manifold with 3 x 15 mm pipes going to the water heater, however when i took the tap valve out to repair what i assumed was a faulty tap washer the valve has a long rod going down into the manifold

Sponsored Links
That's standard for a vented tap.

When you open the hot tap, what you are actually doing is allowing cold water to flow into the water heater which then pushes hot water out of the heater and out of the tap.

Examples on the attached link - pack J,K,Q & Y
https://www.heatraesadia.com/produc...ectric-vented-storage/vented-tap-packages.htm

You need to be aware of the consequences (explosion!) of preventing a vented heater from venting as designed.

Most vented (small under-sink) water heaters are designed to allow water to expand through the hot tap - the heated water output from the heater is not controlled by the tap - in effect it's an open pipe from the heater output right through (and out of) the tap spout.

Last edited by a moderator:
94970015.jpg
heatrae_two_hole_mixer_tap.jpg

ok thats it thanks, i thought this was a straight forward tap washer replacement job because the flow from the taps was so poor, when i removed the tap valve on the side without the spindle because the flow was very slow the valve had no tap washer on it so i put one on the tap works fine now, i assumed it needed one on their. i'm going to get a plumber to look at it tomorrow meanwhile should i remove the tap washer or can it stay on ? i'v not done anything to the side with the spindle
Thanks for the help

Last edited:
As long as you haven't done anything to the hot tap all should be well

No thank goodness I left that alone, lesson learned get a plumber which I will do as it needs sorting, just so I know can the hot tap be repaired ie, is it better to tell the plumber that I just want the taps replacing I ask because I think the hot tap seems to have a reduced flow
Thanks

What I meant to ask, can the tap valve on the hot side be removed and repaired like the cold side ?

Lets assume you replaced the right washer because the tap was dripping.

But what is your ongoing problem with the hot tap?

Tony

When contacting a plumber,mention your existing tap (hot supply) is unvented.

If you can get the makers name on the electric heater,also tell them that.

iirc these are expensive taps,so maybe it can be repaired in situ. Good luck.

The hot side tap seems to be difficult to turn, so when the plumber comes I was wondering if it could be repaired or is it better just replace the whole lot, I thought these were just normal taps which is why I attempted the repair, I did take off the hot side thinking it was exactly like the cold side which is when I saw the spindle so I just put it back but I'm thinking I may have damaged it taking it off, and now its not connected to what ever it should be or is it simply a spindle that goes down and pushes on something as the tap closes, the reason I ask is maybe the plumber could just take it apart and re-install it correctly as the problem was with the cold side but like an idiot I thought I may as well do the hot tap while I'm at it

The splined connecting rod may be out of position or even damaged,tell the plumber what you did (saves time) and see if it can be repaired.

You may be able to take it apart again and refit it,see how it goes.

Put it down to experience,

Ok thanks for all the help, definately learned a valuable lesson, I won't be doing any more tap repairs without looking under the sink first again lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back