Tap inserts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a set of bathroom taps that don't regulate the water correctly i.e you turn a mm too far and the flow goes from a trickle to full wack. I cannot replace the taps because of the logistics, the bath has been cut into the wall the tap connectors were attached to the bath and then soldered to the main pipe, which is moreless agains the wall. The cold water is straight from the mains and the stop cock is old and I'd rather not risk a leak by using it, as it hasn't been turned for many years.

Q. Does anyone know where i can purchase some new tap inserts, if this is the correct name. I'v tried some sites but they only seem to have repair kits for basin taps not bath taps.

I thought i could freeze the pipes and pop the inserts in - job done.

Sponsored Links
If you remove the top of the tap. (turn off the supply first). Look at the part that the washer is seated on. You will probably find that this can be pulled out. It should be able to go in and out freely. Clean up it's shaft with some wire wool (and the bore that it goes into). Put it back together. May sort your problem.

Taps don't have removable seats originally so not sure I follow Texmex.

You can certainly get tap swaps/ refurbishers / revivers for bath taps, though there's a fair chance that dismantling and descaling and greasing your existing taps would be OK. Try screwfix.com and bes.ltd.uk .

Thanks for the help. I dismatled the tap, it was badly scaled in the barrel, so i used a bit of limelite and fine emery and it is much improved now.

Sponsored Links
Silicone grease is the pukka goo for those. Vaseline at a pinch but it washes out fairly soon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back