Tap into existing clay sewer pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I thought I had asked this question a couple of years, but cannot find the post...

Anyway I want to tap into the existing clay waste pipe that runs under our house. The existing stack is at the back of the house where the current waste goes to. It then runs under the house and on into the main sewer. Now I want to put in a downstairs toilet and fortunatly this clay pipe is right where I need it to be. Is it acceptable to tap into this pipe? Can I just use 2 universal couplers and a curved t piece? Should I back fill or put in an inspection chamber?

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
Building regulations come into this and correctly an application should be made to do this!

Its normal to use rubber couplers and plastic new pipe to do this.

But historically an inspection chamber was expected where a branch joins although that was not always done.

I don't know why it was sometimes done and sometimes not done ( apart from cost savings ).

Perhaps someone else has an idea.

Tony

You will need permission from your local water board, permission will cost you around £80, there are two ways of connecting, either direct or indirect but perfectly ok to connect to existing.

You will need permission from your local water board, permission will cost you around £80, there are two ways of connecting, either direct or indirect but perfectly ok to connect to existing.

Thanks all for the advise, sounds like it's quite straightforward. With the water board permission, does that mean they are responsible for the waste pipes that are within the boundary of my land?

Sponsored Links
That does not absolve you from obtaining Building regulations approval for the new toilet and its pipework.

Local Water Authority is now responsible for sewers.

But I would be a little surprised if that extended to having to give you approval for connecting a new toilet in your house.

I suspect any Water Authority approval is in respect of discharge aspects rather than work on drainage in your property.

Tony

Ah that makes sense. I guess as I'm just moving a downstairs toilet from one location to another I'm not increasing any discharge so can leave the water board out of it. Just building control to sort out.

Cheers

Water Company are only responsible for shared sewers, i.e. two or more properties must be using the run. Any drains that only serve one property are still the responsibility of the property owner.

Building Control approval is still needed for any work on the drains though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back