Where to run waste in this pic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning how to add a new stub stack waste for a utility room.

I've got a few options to connect it to the existing waste. They are described below and in the photo, which one would be best?

1) Clay pipe 1 in the photo is currently just taking rainwater. I could change this to a stub stack and handle both rainwater & waste here.

2) Clay pipe 2 is not currently used, but I've poured some buckets of water down and it seems to be draining fine. I can't see where it goes though, it certainly doesn't connect under that inspection cover. Would it be safe to use this for waste or is possible this doesn't run to the main sewer?

3) Option 3 is to lay brand new pipe (shown as the dotted line) to connect under the inspection cover.

Sponsored Links
First things first. From the looks of that old inspection chamber, you have combined soil and rainwater drainage but it would be prudent to confirm this. Just flush the toilet and see if it appears in that chamber.

Secondly, if pipe 2 does join into the main drain (the arrowed one), I would expect to find another inspection chamber further downstream. If you can find this and confirm that pipe 2 does indeed join the main drain and if you have combined drainage, I would be inclined to lose that disused gully, cut pipe 2 to size and join straight onto the end. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Just flush the toilet and see if it appears in that chamber.

Yes all toilets and sinks flow through this. I also poured water into the rain gutters and it came through here, so it's handling everything.

Secondly, if pipe 2 does join into the main drain (the arrowed one), I would expect to find another inspection chamber further downstream. If you can find this and confirm that pipe 2 does indeed join the main drain and if you have combined drainage, I would be inclined to lose that disused gully, cut pipe 2 to size and join straight onto the end. :cool: :cool: :cool:

No there's no other inspection covers, even out on the road. This is why I'm a bit suspicious of that pipe 2. The angle it shoots off at certainly implies it joins the main line around where I've marked. I could dig it up and confirm if all else fails, I'd rather not though!

Do you have any drain rods? Try this:

1) Ensure that no water will come down the drain until you say so.

2) Attach a dry rag to the end of your rods and feed it down the main drain, past the point where you think pipe 2 joins in. Make sure it's well fixed on. :!: :!: :!:

3) Empty a bucket into pipe 2.

4) Pull the rods out and see if the rag is soaking wet.

I'm surprized that there's no final inspection chamber. Maybe somebody paved over it in the past. You're not supposed to do this but it happens. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Try listening carefully along the (assumed) main drain line while somebody flushes the toilet.

Sponsored Links
I'd go for pipe 1, using 3 is a lot of probably unnecessary work. Pipe 2 could have been for a vent, whilst it may connect i'd be wary of using it unless you ascertain it is definately connected to the sewer and is also is suitable condition to carry foul water. Using pipe 2 could also present future problems in the event of blockage, some form of access would need to be provided.

There is probably little need for a second chamber, any blockage between that chamber and the road could be cleared from that chamber, and manholes in the road would only be provided where necessary. (If a manhole was built on the site of every connection they'd be about a metre apart!) :)

Thanks chaps for the advice. There is one further thing I've discovered:

Within the inspection chamber, there are two pipes which seem to act as exit points. The first is about a foot lower, and obviously all of the waste flows into it. It is permanently flooded, eg the water line is visible but waste flows away just fine.

A foot above it is a second exit point, which also exits down towards the road. As it's higher nothing flows into it.

Is this higher exit pipe for flooding or gas or something?

Obviously this makes Space Cat's suggestion impossible as I'd be pushing the rag under the waterline.

hudster said:
Is this higher exit pipe for flooding or gas or something?

That sounds like a vent pipe. We had one in our final chamber until we got our drive redone. The vent itself was beside a gatepost but the paving company dug it out and paved over it, claiming that it wasn't needed anymore. I didn't really believe them because our final chamber has an intercept trap but it's gone now. :mad: :mad: :mad:

and also said:
It is permanently flooded, eg the water line is visible

That's wrong. Either the ground has tilted, introducing a slight upward slope in the line towards the sewer, or else you have a partial blockage downstream. Our final chamber is prone to partial blockages. Twice in the past, the stopper has come out of the rodding eye above the trap (don't ask me how because it's heavy :confused: :confused: :confused: ) and caused a blockage below. When it happens, the thing fills up to the level of the rodding eye and water lies in the next chamber upstream. The smell gives it away. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

That sounds like an interceptor, photo would help clarify! Bottom pipe is the trap, it will sit full of water, it's supposed to. Top pipe above it is the rodding eye, when built it would have been fitted with a stopper but chances are thats long been removed/lost.....

The rodding eye allows the section of drain after the interceptor to the main in the road to be accessed should need arise. Diagram: http://www.diyinfozone.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/interceptor-traps.jpg

That sounds like an interceptor, photo would help clarify! Bottom pipe is the trap, it will sit full of water, it's supposed to. Top pipe above it is the rodding eye, when built it would have been fitted with a stopper but chances are thats long been removed/lost.....

The rodding eye allows the section of drain after the interceptor to the main in the road to be accessed should need arise. Diagram: http://www.diyinfozone.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/interceptor-traps.jpg[/QUOTE]

Thanks Hugh that diagram is exactly what mine looks like, with the stopper missing.

Now I'm at a loss as to why pipe 2 would connect to this drain below the interceptor. Is it possible that pipe 2 connects to a rainwater drain and not to the main sewer line at all?

I'm wondering if someone mistakenly changed the rain water to pipe 1 some time ago (the house is >100 years old)

OK, I've re-read this --

Within the inspection chamber, there are two pipes which seem to act as exit points. The first is about a foot lower, and obviously all of the waste flows into it. It is permanently flooded, eg the water line is visible but waste flows away just fine.

and that could indeed be a description of an intercept trap and rodding eye with missing stopper. That's the problem when you can't see the thing in front of you. :( :( :(

Question for hudster, is the chamber empty apart from some water lying in that exit pipe? If it is then everything is in order - except for the missing stopper. If it is an intercept trap like Hugh Jaleak says (and it does sound likely) you will be able to get a drain rod through the upper pipe ( the rodding eye) but not the lower one (the trap).

That just leaves a question mark over pipe 2. Where does it go - because I would expect a chamber with intercept trap to be the last one before the main sewer. :confused: :confused: :confused: I would try the 'rag on a rod' test through the rodding eye (upper exit pipe).

I think we were both typing at the same time Space Cat. Yes the chamber is dry apart from the water level inside the lower pipe so all seems well.

Could pipe 2 lead to a rainwater sewer instead? I'm not sure why else I'd have this configuration. It is a lot higher than the main drain, so would have to step down quite sharply if it did connect to it.

hudster said:
Could pipe 2 leads to a rainwater sewer instead? I'm not sure why else I'd have this configuration

I don't understand it either. :confused: :confused: :confused: I always thought that separate drains for foul and rainwater were a (relatively) recent idea, pre-dated by brick-built chambers with intercept traps - but I could be wrong. Meanwhile, this:

Hugh Jaleak said:
Using pipe 2 could also present future problems in the event of blockage, some form of access would need to be provided.

is a valid point which I overlooked. :oops: :oops: :oops: With no access to the downstream end of pipe 2 (wherever that may be) you would have to fit a rodding eye at the upstream end of any drain feeding into it.

I'm thinking that the safest solution is going to be to run everything (soil and rain water) into pipe 1 as Hugh suggested.

In my head, having a stub stack with the rainwater downpipe going into it just looks wrong though. Wouldn't all the smells come out the top of the downpipe? (that'll be happening now anyway)

What are you planning to discharge? If a W.C. is involved a direct connection to the drain is required, however if its just wastes from sink or washing machine etc then fit a trapped gulley. Rainwater and wastes can discharge into the gulley, job done. Don't connect rainwater directly to a foul drain, it's not permissible under building regs and possible it'll allow foul air into roof space via eaves vents.

If W.C. is to be connected i'd fit stub stack for that, then connect a bottle gulley using a junction for the rainwater. Wastes can go into stub stack or gulley, whichever is preferable.

Pipe 2 could have been for a vent stack to ventilate the main sewer. The usual practice was to fit a vent at ground level connected to the interceptor chamber, this was to allow air in at this point, to be vented out via the stack and thus providing a flow of fresh air through the house drains. The main sewer was 'sealed off' from the house drains by the interceptor, with the intention of preventing foul air and rats entering the house drains.

Thanks Hugh, yes it includes a WC.

Having re-read everything I'm going to route everything into pipe 1. WC and sinks into a stub stack and the rainwater and garden tap will discharge into a trapped gully alongside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back