Tap Jumpers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our cold bathroom tap (mains fed) has started vibrating loudly when turned off. The taps are the tall Edwardian type, I took the tap apart and put a new washer on and the problem persists.

My question is should the jumper be loose in the tap body or should it be a tight fit that can't be pulled out? As I think this is the cause of the vibrating.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply, the old washer and jumper were kind of stuck in the tap body when I removed the top part, the new washer is a good fit on the jumper and plenty big enough the cover the seat.

As a non plumber I don't understand why the jumper has to move, why cant it just be solid? I'm fairly sure the vibrating is caused by this jumper as the water pressure 'rattles' it.

Try changing your stop tap or maybe adjusting it to see if the vibrating stops.

I used to get this and solved it with a new stop tap. :D

Sponsored Links
Yes, stop taps are usually the culprit. Try opening it up, or closing it down a bit.

Also, dismantle it, and see if the washer has disintegrated, leaving the metal jumper to vibrate.

Replacement may be the answer

cold water taps have free jumpers because there should be adequate pressure to lift the jumper of the tap seating. hot water taps have a fixed fitting to the tap as the pressure might be reduced

Nath

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back