Vibrating tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an outdoor tap which is fed off the pipe work under our kitchen sink, straight out through the wall and directly to an outdoor tap which is screwed to the wall. Firstly, when we turn the tap on it immediately starts vibrating which makes a loud noice and, as it is fixed directly to the pipes under the sink, echoes through the entire house. If you continue to 'open' the tap further it eventually stops. It also doesn't vibrate if you turn on the kitchen sink taps whilst operating the outdoor tap - i'm guessing this is because this lowers the water pressure? Can anyone suggest why the tap does this and will we need to replace the tap to solve it or is it something we can repair?

Secondly, our neighbour told us this weekend that when the tap does this it cause all the pipes in her house to vibrate (we live in a mid-terrace) and that once last year it broke the pipe joints in her kitchen and she had to call a plumber in to repair it. Does this sound feasible? As I said above, the tap is connected directly to the pipes under our kitchen sink and it doesn't make them vibrate so I find it hard to believe it makes hers vibrate next door. Are water supplies to seperate houses even connected to each other in a way to make this possible? I find it odd that this happened last year, but she never mentioned it at the time?

Sponsored Links
Andrew, I would think that the washer/jumper is worn and is the cause of the noise.This can be repaired quite easily but its more cost effective to screw a new one on.

Thank you, I will look into getting a new one before next door start moaning again!

Do you think it is feasible that this could have caused damage to her kitchen plumbing?

No mate, there's more chance you winning the lottery than causing damage to her plumbing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys - that's what I thought. Its funny, we live in a row of five terrace houses and if anything goes wrong with any of them, somehow its always our fault? The drains get blocked - our fault, gutters start leaking - our fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back