Tap mystery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
She complained the flow from the hot at the kitchen sink mixer had suddenly reduced yesterday, after dinner. Its a normal tap with conventional washer, rather than a quarter turn cartridge type.

Isolated the hot supply, removed the tap, fitted a new washer, cleaned it all up and all seemed fine. Re-installed, same problem, then I realised there was supposed to be some sort of circlip (a thicker squared type) on the spindle, to make it open up as the tap is turned on - but it was missing, no where to be seen. Nowhere in sight and it could not have escaped with the tap handle/top in place, it was too close fitting, yet it must have been absent before I began pulling it apart.

As luck would have it, I had a 'tap refurb kit' in stock, in my garage, which was a perfect match for the original, so I just fitted that.

Best guess so far, is that the circlip was absent when I installed it 10 years ago and pressure has been able to push it up. I had no reason to remove the top to install it, or since then apart from yesterday.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back