tap problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys, i have got a problem with the hot tap on my bathroom basin.

basically no hot water comes out at all, i know the first thought is a pressure issue but the bath's hot tap 12 inches away works fine, and also the faulty basin tap in question has been progressively getting worse for a while now.

i know how to replace a tap washer or the whole tap if needs be, so i decided to try and service the tap. The problem i have got tho is that the tap wont come apart, i have taken the screw out of the head fixing the head to the tap body and unscrewed the shroud to get at the tap head gear but the tap head wont come away from the tap body, it seems to be seized in place, and i there isnt enough of the headgear hex nut exposed when the shroud is removed so i cant taken it apart at all.

is this a case of just fitting new taps, or is there a way i could service the tap in question? im guessing maybe the circlip has come off or something? but i cant get into the tap to find out.

this is the exact tap, but to give you an idea of what im working with here is a very similar tap

http://www.screwfix.com/p/swirl-traditional-bathroom-basin-taps-chrome-pair/88965#

hope you can help, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Don't understand it myself, but for some bizarre reason, those tap handles are the curse of taps.

Nothing directly to do with the handles... just they curse the mechanisms they are attached to.

get yourself down a plumbers merchants and buy a universal set of tap revivers.

Or even cheaper... a set of cheap and nasty contract taps and transfer the mechanisms/and/or handles.

Give the underside of the cross heads a sharp tap each side and they will pull off.

DISCLAIMER!!!! break the basin and your on your own. :p

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back