Tap circlip riding up spindle

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
This tap has a clip which might be stamped out of brass sheet, it is square section, not round. The tap head fits over it so it has to be quite short.

As the clip slides up the spindle, the tap will not turn on.

I have tried squeezing it to a tighter fit but it just goes loose again.

I have some steel circlips but they are round section, are steel so they will go rusty and I think are too long for the head to fit back on.
What's the correct thing to do?

View media item 1306
View media item 1307

Sponsored Links
try pulling the spindle fully up as the circlip should sit in a groove in the spindle
not just on the spindle as in your pic

yes, I've done that, but it pushed out of the groove when I turn the spindle. It appears not to be springy enough to fit tightly.

Sponsored Links
:?: bullet :?:

I notice the spindle only goes half a turn either way as well, when the clip is held in its groove.

I have not been able to unscrew the brass part from the body of the tap yet, it appears to be stuck.

I am wondering if the porcelain will crack if I use a big socket :(

:?: bullet :?:

I notice the spindle only goes half a turn either way as well, when the clip is held in its groove.

I have not been able to unscrew the brass part from the body of the tap yet, it appears to be stuck.

I am wondering if the porcelain will crack if I use a big socket :(

That is your problem the bullet is stuck, you need to take the tap to bits, clean it and add a drop of silicon grease, then stick it back together.

The bullet should be right the way in, turn the spindle to do that, before you put it together.

Once you have it to bits you will see what I mean :LOL:

A lump of brass with 6 side and a washer on the end, that slide in and out of the body, with a thread on the inside that the spindle screws into.

thanks, i managed to get it out without breaking anything and gave the sliding surfaces a rub with a green scourer. there did not seem to be any particular scale or corrosion. I have not got any silicone grease but have put it back together and it seems to work. It has rubber "O" rings.

p.s. As you said:
stick it back together.
I thought it best to put Araldite on all the threads before assembly :LOL:

Vaseline would do as 2nd best. :LOL:

Araldite would be right down the list. ;)

Hi - don't know where else to ask this question. The circlip on the spindle of my tap (Tantofex 22mm) has broken and NOWHERE (internet or local plumbing suppliers) can I get a replacement. It is a flat circlip (not like the one in the photo). Can't get it anywhere. As a second bet I am looking for a circlip like the one in the photo that might just do the job - but, again, can't get one anywhere. Can anyone here help? I live in Dundee, Scotland.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back