Water tap valve spindle removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Traditional tap valve fitted to an old mixer tap, a valve each for hot and cold.

I can't remove the splined/threaded spindle once the circlip is removed.

I want to give them a clean out and apply some grease.

I tried tapping the spindles, but no joy, they won't pass through the valve body.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Can you post a picture with the tap shrouds removed?

Blup

Photos as requested -

2ex0ygw.jpg

2h660xz.jpg

It's the nut that needs removing so the entire valve comes out, this might help, make sure the hot and cold supplies are isolated first.

Blup

Sponsored Links
But don't do it unless you are confident with the process (and have the tools and know how to use them), or are happy that you will learn as you go along, otherwise call a plumber instead.

Blup

I have no issue removing the valve body from the mixer tap.

Its getting the center piece out that's troublesome.

I removed the circlip but even tapping the spindle, it wont pass through the valve body.

It seems the spindle rim, just below the spline, is a larger diameter than the valve body bore!

With the valve body held in a pair of grips, give the splines a whack with your spanner, never failed me

I have no issue removing the valve body from the mixer tap.

Its getting the center piece out that's troublesome.

I removed the circlip but even tapping the spindle, it wont pass through the valve body.

It seems the spindle rim, just below the spline, is a larger diameter than the valve body bore!
I thought that was elementary, but as both your pics showed it in place, I assumed you didn't know!

With the insert removed from the tap,the circlip removed.Turn the splined part to unscrew it from the internal (unseen thread) then it will pop out.

But why faff about,just buy new inserts.plenty of cheap import stuff around or buy proper quality inserts :mrgreen:

why faff about

Because I've already done the two taps on the bathroom sink which were stiff. Five minutes work on each, clean and greased, they're as good as new.

Just decided to do the same with the kitchen taps.

One thing that has improved with the troublesome taps is they had the wrong size rubber washers fitted (too big) so the flow was always poor. I replaced them a few years back but fitted the same size as the old ones. This time I got a mixed pack from the local hardware and noticed a couple slightly smaller. I fitted those and the water flow is now much better.

That happens quiet a lot :sick:

Presumably not by the hands of professional plumbers!

I thought the old tap washers were the right size because they were the same diameter as the washer seat. Should have cottoned on when I pulled the valves out and the washers were stuck in the tap housing.

Is water pump grease suitable for applying to the inners of a tap valve?

Thanks all for posting by the way!

Are the clips that hold the spindle easy to get hold of?

I lost one of a tap a few years back and had to use a bit of licking wire instead!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back