tap seat recutting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a pair of taps in my parents downstairs basin in the shower room about 3 years ago at a cost of £18, so budget price. The cold is mains fed at fairly high pressure, getting on for 3 bar. It is a high limescale area, with the limestone used to built Portbury- Avonmouth docks.

The cold tap started to leak so I took the valve off to inspect it. The washer was ok, a pressure line around it where it seated, but should work fine.

I inspected the tap body and found a indent or small cut on the seating face which would cause the leak.

So my question is do I buy a face cutter or buy new taps, the available face to recut is not particularly wide and it is only a little higher than what appears to be the rough brass body casting.
Any opinions welcome.

Sponsored Links
Tap reseater = £10 ( used once and then left to gather dust)

Brand new taps £20 - £30 used daily.

Your choice :D

What Bahco said, tap re-setter is wasted space in your tool box.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, like GPlumb I also think my mate Bahco is right, unless of course you fancy the practice of reseating. If you like tinkering you might prefer to buy a reseater and have a go. Your parents may like the taps and prefer to have them refurbished as opposed to renewed. But they may prefer them to be renewed. Have you asked them? If it were me I'd reseat them but I already have the tool and it would save me having to clart on replacing the taps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back