Tap Seat Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a tap that required reseating. While using a seating tool it became obvious that one of the pits had gone a few mm down into the brass, to grind this out would have taken ages and taken half of the tap with it.

As an alternative to replacement I used the point of a needle file to thoroughly clean out the pit and filled it with Plastic Padding Chemical Metal. I ground the seat so that only the one pit remained, cleaned the pit out with file and damp cotton bud and then dried out the tap interior thoroughly with a hot air gun. Cleanliness and dryness are probably key to a good bond.

I used a cocktail stick to apply small drops of CM to build the repair slightly proud of the seat (CM working time is V short!). After leaving the CM to harden for several hours gently brought the CM down to the level of the brass seat with the seating tool. CM is a lot softer than brass so rushing it might leave an uneven surface. Reassembled the tap with a new washer.

Repair is effective, tap turns off easily. As CM is softer than brass will probably wear with time, but works for now.

There may be better things for this than CM.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I was in the plumbing section but somewhere between typing and posting the section had defaulted to Electrics...
Can't worry about that now...I've got some taps to reseat on my daughter's dance shoes, for an electrifying performance tomorrow!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back