Tap surround leaking on water butt - how to seal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed that the tap leaks on a second hand water butt that I've just connected. The tap valve itself is ok (you can turn it on and off) - it's the seal around the tap that is leaking.

It's a plastic water butt with plastic tap. I'm thinking of using a seal or something, but I'm not sure what to use. I don't want to glue it in.

The butt is 200L, so it's deep but is roomy enough to be able to reach in and access the tap.

Sponsored Links
Unscrew the nut on the inside of the tap (inside the water butt). The tap then pulls out. There is a plastic washer on both sides of the hole. I bet you'll find one or both of these has hardened and cracked/broken. Replacement washers are easily obtainable (B&Q etc.). Clean around the hole before reassembling. Maybe add a small bead of silicon for belt and braces.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back