Tap Tails/Flexi's - Quality

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking to open up a topic and explore it - with the aim of learning something new.

Flexi tap tails - (edit: wras approved) loads available, from loads of suppliers Amazon, Screwfix, Plumb Centre etc. Cheap as chips.

However - some of us prefer high quality variants of parts & fittings, even if it might/may cost more.

The aim of this thread, is about exploring:

A) How to distinguish - high quality flexi's - from poor quality ones?

B) Where to source them?

(Just to preempt the obvious - we all know not to judge quality based purely on price - hence the reason for this thread).

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just make sure they are WRAS approved which are readily available.

I always found 2 different kind.
One thin and filmsy, very flexible.
The other a lot thicker and less flexible.
The ticker one doesn't rust.
Both wras approved.
Of course price is different.

Sponsored Links
Forgive me - let me clarify the question:

For wras approved tails, how are fellow members distinguishing the high quality ones from the poor quality ones.

I want to buy only high quality, long lasting, reliable tails.

How does one tell which ones are high quality?

Where can I get them from?

My understanding about WRAS approval is - if they use the WRAS mark then they have to hit key quality requirements i.e. they use stainless steel materials/braiding and use quality internals, etc.

Therefore regardless of make, as long something is WRAS approved then there should be a reasonable level of confidence using them.

I always get my flexi's from my supplier and not online. If my client supplies their own taps etc and they are in a nice plain white box then I always caveat using the tails that come along with them. They are more than likely from Asia and I can just about guarantee they are substandard and wont last.

I always get my flexi's from my supplier and not online.

If my client supplies their own taps etc and they are in a nice plain white box then I always caveat using the tails that come along with them. They are more than likely from Asia and I can just about guarantee they are substandard and wont last.

Who is your supplier - where do you get your tails from?

I'll get them from either Graham's or City Plumbing or whoever else is closest at the time TGH but any of the plumbing suppliers should do WRAS approved, as a UK company they kinda have to.

I've been thinking about this too.

Seems a very common insurance claim.

I've never had one fail BUT definitely wouldn't want one too!.

What's most common failure point?. Mine are all below 30cm, no movement noticed when it use etc.

Are the stainless over braided ones the best?.

I've been thinking about this too.

Seems a very common insurance claim.

I've never had one fail BUT definitely wouldn't want one too!.

What's most common failure point?. Mine are all below 30cm, no movement noticed when it use etc.

Are the stainless over braided ones the best?.

You're bringing up interesting points - and are getting to the heart of my question.

A) Common insurance claim - means its worth of exploration, discussion and examination. Why are they failing so frequently.

Which replacements will have better build quality. How would one tell?

E.g - With isolation valves - many recommend pegler.

For flexi's - which manufacturer do others recommend?

Mine failed at the collar that binds around the braid:

0C69440D-126B-405F-814B-3CCE099B4D75.jpeg

There must be variations in the quality of the different brands/units available. How do we identify the HQ units?

B) Length - would assume the shorter the tail - the less likely to fail?

If WRAS stipulate stainless steel they cannot have been WRAS approved.

I've got 10 year old ones that look as good as new (just inspected one tonight while changing a tap).

I suppose a cheap and cheerful way to test would be with a magnet?.

I can see in your instance the failure mode would be the mechanical crimp failing due to corrosion?.

Maybe the external metal sleeve was not deemed in contact with water and they used coated mild steel?, a little leak in the Olive finished it off?.

Hi all,

Looking to open up a topic and explore it - with the aim of learning something new.

Flexi tap tails - (edit: wras approved) loads available, from loads of suppliers Amazon, Screwfix, Plumb Centre etc. Cheap as chips.

However - some of us prefer high quality variants of parts & fittings, even if it might/may cost more.

The aim of this thread, is about exploring:

A) How to distinguish - high quality flexi's - from poor quality ones?

B) Where to source them?

(Just to preempt the obvious - we all know not to judge quality based purely on price - hence the reason for this thread).

A insurance loss adjuster told me that the biggest cause of water damage and floods in houses was flexible tap connectors failing.
He offered this info after I asked him a direct question.

Morale of the story ....use copper tails.

So we're still trying to establish - how does one tell the difference,
between a (wras) HQ flexi, over a poor quality one?

(It seems a more important topic than people realise - until insurance has to be called).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back