tap troubles

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Just trying to collect as many opinions and as much information as possible to try to sort out the taps so I can wash my hands and brush my teeth in my brand new bathroom!! :rolleyes:

Well glasgowgas,......I said,

" Because you have a combi boiler, you don't have a hot water tank, your cold water comes directly from the mains and it is at mains pressure and it feeds your cold taps directly and it also goes directly to your boiler, your boiler then heats the hot supply and pumps it to the hot taps and radiators via the boilers own pump. "

You replied,

" jameshere stated that a combi boiler takes mains water,heats it up, and uses the boilers internal pump to pump it.

i replied that it doesnt,because, well it doesnt "

Doesn't what ?, doesn't heat the water ?, no, I don't suppose that is what you meant, I assume that what you meant was that the hot water doesn't reach the hot taps and radiators via the boiler's own internal pump, why not ?, I don't know, you didn't bother to explain why that is or isn't the case.

Perhaps you are stating that the boiler doesn't have an internal pump, again, I don't know if that is the case, I assumed that was how the hot water got distributed from the boiler, perhaps that isn't the case, perhaps mains pressure alone suffices to achieve hot water distribution, excuse me for not being a heating engineer.

Some boilers, including my old floor standing combi, certainly did used to have internal pumps, perhaps they don't nowadays, anyway that is irrelevant.

What is relevant is that the point that I was trying to make was that the bathroom cold water supply comes direct from the mains, and is at mains pressure, and that since that pressure was perfectly adequate in the bathroom before the bath mixer tap was fitted, it should still be adequate afterwards, but since the flow from the handbasin taps is now reduced, that problem must have arisen as a result of the fitting of the bath mixer tap, and logically, since the cold water supply has been reduced, whatever caused that problem must also have caused the reduction in flow to the handbasin hot water supply.

In other words, the reduced flow to the handbasin hot water supply has also been caused by the fitting of the bath mixer tap, and has nothing to do with the hot water supply from the boiler.

Also, logically, before the water supply to the handbasin taps was reduced as a result of the fitting of the bath mixer tap, there were no banging noises, so therefore, the fitting of the bath mixer tap must also be responsible for the water hammer noise.

faycat said,

" Just to calrify the order of events ...
1] new sink /basin taps fitted and worked perfectly
2] a week later bath mixer fitted [which works fine]
3] on same day as bath mixer fitted, the basin taps stopped working properly and I noticed the noise when turing the cold tap off. "

I say, therefore the logical conclusion is that your problems were caused by the fitting of the bath mixer tap with shower attachment, and BTW, did you note what I said previously, the particular model of bath mixer tap and shower attachment, have to be suitable for use with your particular make and model of combi boiler, and anti scalding safety is an important aspect of that.

Although I can't see how even a bath tap mixer/shower attachment and boiler model mismatch, whilst important, would affect your handbasin taps.

faycat said,

" So could something have happened while the bath mixer was being fitted that affected the basin taps [even though they are on the other side of the room?] "

Wellllll,......since the problems only started AFTER the bath mixer was fitted, the logical and obvious answer to that question, can only be YES.

faycat said,

" 1] new sink /basin taps fitted and worked perfectly "

then says,

" I was playing around with the basin taps and they feel "tight" to me i.e. you have to turn them quite far to get a flow of water [which then reduces to nothing anyway!]. I also noticed that when the water is flowing if I put weight on the taps or push against them at a cetain angle it seems to affect the flow and in some cases it stopped the water from slowing down. Does that mean anything significant??? "

Well that seems to suggest that the hand basin taps weren't as perfectly fitted as you had at first thought.

" Does that mean anything significant??? "

Yes, it does, the significance would seem to be that the person, or persons, who fitted the bath and basin taps have done a bodged job, and they probably aren't even knowledgable enough to know what it is that they did wrong.

I mean, apart from your noise and poor flow rate problems, have you ever heard of basin mixer taps that behaved like that ?, I certainly haven't.

I go back to what I said previously, you need a QUALIFIED EXPERT, the only way that you are going to fix these problems, is to find a recommended plumber who really does know what he's doing, who can look at the job, diagnose the cause of the problems, and put hands on and fix them.

Preferably an old boy who has been doing the job for years and is on the ball, finding such a person is the hard part, ask everyone if they know of a good plumber, the actual faults can't be very complicated or difficult to fix.

How a combi works.

A combination boiler heats mains water directly in the case of combined heat exchangers and indirectly in the case of plate heat exchangers. This is irrelevant in our basic understanding. The pump circulates the "circulating" water. This does not come out of the taps. The domestic water is propelled by mains pressure through the heat exchanger where it is heated up instantaneousely.

Sponsored Links
I said,

" Because you have a combi boiler, you don't have a hot water tank, your cold water comes directly from the mains and it is at mains pressure and it feeds your cold taps directly and it also goes directly to your boiler, your boiler then heats the hot supply and pumps it to the hot taps and radiators via the boilers own pump. "

I'll stick my oar in despite this conversation reminding me of BigDrivelWaterBurner.

A combi boiler doesn't pump water to the hot taps, the mains pressure makes it flow, just the same as the cold. The pump inside the boiler pumps primary system water round the radiator circuit. In most (but not all) combi's, the pump also pumps system water between the main and secondary heat exchangers. The secondary heat exchanger transfers the heat to the mains water for the taps, but the two lots of water don't mix unless there is a fault.

Hi jameshere

Thanks again for your comments and opinions.

Just wanted to point out that the taps on the basin are not mixer taps but a separate hot and cold tap.

Also, when I said that the taps worked perfectly I meant that they worked perfectly for the first week. They opened easily and the water flow was constant even when on low and there was no bang.

I just don't get how the shower mixer could affect the sink taps.

Any plumbers out there who could explain the mystery?

Does anyone think that just getting new sink taps might fix the problem?

Thanks a lot :)

P.S. I don't disagree that I will probably need to get a qualified plumber but want to arm myself with as much information as possible before going down that route.

you've been given info to check which you appear to ignore.
you've not came back and told us that you have checked anything.

Hi seco services

I haven't ignored your advice or anyone else's. Just the opposite!! It feels like I've spent the entire weekend running the taps [driving my other half mad!] and reading stuff on the internet form the links people have sent me.

I checked the other taps in the house like you told me and they are all fine. I looked for the isolation valve but not sure what it looks like. It's only the cold tap pipe that makes the banging noise and if I hold it away from the ceramic pedistal it doesn't make a bang but it still vibrates so I think if we clip it, it should be OK.

Sorry I didn't let you know. A lack of etiquette on my part, not gratitude!
:D

Hi seco services
I checked the other taps in the house like you told me and they are all fine.
that proves your supply from mains, combi etc is ok.
I looked for the isolation valve but not sure what it looks like.

this is a isolation valve
800px-Compression_fitting_isolating.jpg

can you see any under the basin ?

as for jameshere he just talks aload of old drivel

There is one of these attached to the white piping that comes down from each of the taps. They are not exactly under the basin but hanging down behind the pedestal.

look at the screwdriver slot on them is it vertical as the one in the pic ?
what is yours pointing to ?

do one tap at a time.
turn on tap
place a flat screwdriver in the slot and turn to 12.30
then do the other tap.

let us know how you get on if flow is better.
ok-wink.gif

Hi seco services

I did what you said but unfortunately it didn't make any difference. The water comes out OK for about 3 seconds then it reduces significantly before it slows down to a dribble and sometimes completely stops flowing.

But if we turn the taps on full to begin with the water pressure doesn't reduce.

[We have the water pressure at 2 on our baxi boiler at the moment.]

Thanks so much for your help.

:(

Hi seco services

[We have the water pressure at 2 on our baxi boiler at the moment.]
that pressure on the front gauge is nothing to do with dhw pressure

But if we turn the taps on full to begin with the water pressure doesn't reduce.

what do you mean by this ?

if you only turn tap on 1/2 it will reduce flow to a dribble.
but if you turn tap on full then it will keep running

is that what you mean ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back