Taper versus Sq PB on ceilings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sq versus taper on ceilings?

Obviously, vertical taped joints would be essential where Dotty & Dabby are involved, as no skim to cover screw heads means that a taper recess is required to accommodate jointing compound.

If taper was put up on a ceiling you would obviously still have screw heads to lose under a skim anyway, so wouldn't taper edges on a ceiling job allow a greater depth of cover at taper joints, therefore reducing the incidence of later cracking?

I see a lot of posts about this and spread is always mad keen to use sq edge PB, it certainly seems to be the easier option.

Ultimately though, wouldn't taper PB with a skim be a better job for future proofing against joint cracking? A bit more prep before the skim but a slightly better job in the long?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
no. no way if you do a bit of plastering for a living.

there's a few reasons why not to use tapered - stick to square edge.

Another 'comment without explanation'.

I know which is faster, taper is more faff, jointing compound to go off before skim etc.

But could taper pb be skimmed to produce a better job in the long?

I'm not asking what spread prefers, spread isn't doing the prep, putting the boards up etc, I am. Spread will just do the skim.

I'm good with using taper if the job is better in the long.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back