Taping and skimming over cracks in ceiling. Would that work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bedroom ceiling is cracked and I'd like to repair it. It is a Victorian plaster over wood slats so taking down the ceiling and redoing it is a big messy job. Would you recommend redoing from scratch or would you recommend taping with scrim tape over the cracks and skimming the ceiling? If the latter, will it be better to use thistle finishing plaster or multi finish?

a>

zRTfY27

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is the chandelier rose screwed to a ceiling joist? Is that modern wiring? You could remove the chandelier for cleaning and screw up the laths to the joists then two coats of pva and use any kind of skim after taping all the cracks.
If the ceiling is sagging then it needs propping back into level and binders and hangers securing it in place.

Is the chandelier rose screwed to a ceiling joist? Is that modern wiring?
The chandelier is hung on a heavy-duty hook screwed to the joist. The whole house has been rewired when downstairs was renovated 3 years ago. I never got to patch the hole in the ceiling where the rose it attached.
If the ceiling is sagging then it needs propping back into level and binders and hangers securing it in place.
luckily the ceiling isn't sagging. phew!
You could remove the chandelier for cleaning and screw up the laths to the joists then two coats of pva and use any kind of skim after taping all the cracks
I might screw the laths to the joists anyway for extra reinforcement. Is there an easy way of locating the joists to do this? Would you use standard wood screws like these? https://www.screwfix.com/p/goldscre...k-multipurpose-screws-5-x-50mm-200-pack/16497

i’d over board it first. then skim .or you’ll always see new cracks appearing in other places.

Sponsored Links
plasterboard over the whole ceiling. screwing through to the joists above , then tape and skim .
your plan to screw the laths back up isn’t feasible . youll do more harm to the existing mortar than good.

I was only suggesting screw up laths local to the cracks, not all the laths in the ceiling?
You pilot hole for your screws before screwing the laths back up - that way you dont split the laths.
You know where the first joist is so go 14" to 16" each side to find the other centres with a thin drill bit.
A little damage to the existing finish will be covered when the ceiling is skimmed.
I dont knowwhats there but overboarding might create to much weight if the ceiling joists are small sections with excessive spans or the loft has traffic.
The chandelier's or re-wire sparkies weight in that spot might have caused the cracking?

the laths wont have come away from the joists, that’s highly unlikely and something ive never seen yet.
the crack is more likely to be the mortar loose from the laths.
save yourself days of going around in circles trying to salvage something thats almost certainly beyond repair.

the laths wont have come away from the joists, that’s highly unlikely and something ive never seen yet.
the crack is more likely to be the mortar loose from the laths.
save yourself days of going around in circles trying to salvage something thats almost certainly beyond repair.
Are you still thinking I should over board the ceiling, tape and skim? Or are you saying take it down completely and redo it?

overboard . if theres no sagging and no spring in the joists.

The chandelier's or re-wire sparkies weight in that spot might have caused the cracking?
the crack started appearing long before I hung the chandelier or had rewiring done. Hard to know what caused it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back