Taping painted wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I've successfully painted the box room walls and ceiling. I used acrylic primer paint to go on top of what was some sort of vinyl painted wallpaper. Swmbo has now decreed the skirting looks a bit yellow (oil-based gloss I'm guessing). I wished she had told me earlier.

Whilst I'm happy to rub down the skirting, I'm wary of using blue tape or frog tape on freshly painted walls. How long should I leave it before using tape on painted walls?

Sponsored Links
stealthwolf, good evening.

Such is the way of the world, do the large area then someone wants the smaller bits done as well??

Must admit, I have never used masking tape at all when painting either Skirting s or Architraves, I prefer to use a half decent brush and a steady hand, faster and well I do it that way, with a little practice it may work for you??

Ken.

I always found it better to tape skirting not the wall. Worst case paint the skirting the best you can with a steady hand if you get some on the wall let it dry and tape the skirting it won’t damage as easy as the wall when pulling it off then repaint the bottom bits of wall.

Sponsored Links
Such is the way of the world, do the large area then someone wants the smaller bits done as well??
The undercoat I applied was "brilliant white" which makes the skirting much more yellow in comparison. We both thought it was acceptable and I did check with the wife if she wanted it done as it'd be best to be done first.

Must admit, I have never used masking tape at all when painting either Skirting s or Architraves, I prefer to use a half decent brush and a steady hand, faster and well I do it that way, with a little practice it may work for you
I'll give it a go and take my time. The flooring is laminate and the previous owners put beading around the edges so I can mask that for a neat line at the bottom. I was just worried about painting the wall.

I always found it better to tape skirting not the wall. Worst case paint the skirting the best you can with a steady hand if you get some on the wall let it dry and tape the skirting it won’t damage as easy as the wall when pulling it off then repaint the bottom bits of wall.
Yes I don't particularly wish to have to repaint the walls.

Would a 1" brush be okay or should I go for something smaller for the top of the skirting? The skirting is about 2.5" tall and about half an inch wide off the top of my head.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back