Masking tape nightmare!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My husband is decorating and over the years we have tried every type of tape out there. We bought the green frog tape this time in the hope that it will stick well enough to not let the paint seep through but still peel off without removing fresh paint.

He painted the ceiling first, let it dry, then did a second coat. The tape was then removed and pulled paint off the wall all the way round. He's just painted the skirting boards and used the normal beige tape and the wood paint has seeped onto the walls all the way round.

He's not happy!

My question is this then: he has a very unsteady hand so can't paint without using tape at all, although this is obviously the ideal. He can't paint one coat, take the tape off, put more tape on, paint a second coat and then take the tape off again as it would take forever this way! So what's the solution? I've suggested he holds a thin piece of cardboard up to get a straight edge but he's not keen on this idea-would it work and get a nice line? Could he paint the second coat before the first is dry so that the tape is up for less time? He's a perfectionist...

Help please before a divorce is on the cards!! ;)

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, you've already answered your question with regards to the best way to get a neat edge in that you don't use masking tape at all.
As this is not possible in your husband's case, then you are left with little option other than to mask off but the problems you describe are commonplace. You could try using a low tack tape but I imagine that you've already tried that. It's important when using any masking tape on top of fresh paint that the paint has thoroughly dried (ideally, several days) before applying it, otherwise peeling is inevitable.

A couple of methods you could try are:

Use an edging tool as a straight edge to cut in against but these have their flaws in that any slight undulation in the surface will stop it sitting flush and let the paint seep behind it.

Try painting the woodwork first and allowing it to dry before emulsioning the walls. This will allow you to use a damp cloth to wipe away any paint that gets onto the woodwork as you go along. I use this method on jobs where the existing woodwork is not being repainted and it works a treat although it won't work so well on the ceiling, unless you are using a silk emulsion.

One other tip is to use a good size brush for cutting in by hand. Most DIYers tend to try and use a very small brush to cut in, thinking it will make the job easier, but a good quality 2½"-3" brush would serve them better. (Don't know what size you use.)

Thanks for the advice. Painting the woodwork first is a good idea, hadn't thought of that. I'm glad to hear that the problems are commonplace-reassuring for him I hope!

Sponsored Links
If hubbies hands not staedy why don't you have a go . use as wide brusg as poss and use only bristlle tips. Or you cuold try one of the paint pad painting kits. There are a few different makes but do the same job . very little skill needed just a little practice. I have used them in the past. Just don't overload the pad. Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back