Taping up cable end

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to leave a t+e cable in the ceiling void for a few days - no longer. In the past I'd strip the cables, then terminate with wago and wagobox. I'm wondering if I could just tape the end of the cable.

Presumably I'd need to at least make sure the live conductor is poking out beyond the other two then taping it. I mean just cutting and taping is just asking for a spark and fire isn't it because the conductors are so close together?

Sponsored Links
Presumably I'd need to at least make sure the live conductor is poking out beyond the other two then taping it. I mean just cutting and taping is just asking for a spark and fire isn't it because the conductors are so close together?
Yes, of course.

Fold the live conductor back over the sheath and tape it well.

I need to leave a t+e cable in the ceiling void for a few days - no longer. In the past I'd strip the cables, then terminate with wago and wagobox. I'm wondering if I could just tape the end of the cable.
No

Sponsored Links

So, yes, in theory you could separate the wires and tape them temporarily, but I think it's good practice to consider the possibility that the next person to touch that cable might not be you! However unlikely it may seem, stuff can happen, so best make sure it's fully insulated and protected.
Belt and braces! ;)

That's really helpful not just to me but to anyone reading this thread. Thanks so much !

T&E, I would strip the end as normal to terminate, then fold the L so the maximum is folded up the sheath, E part way up, N the shorted, then simply apply tape over all.

Good advice, however @ebee has a point, one should need a key or tool to access live parts, and one can often remove insulation tape without the need of a tool, so technically he is correct, but some times one needs to use some common sense.
His point was made using two characters so its difficult to tell but I suspect he was simply saying you can't tape up the end of a freshly cut cable ?

I do remember a temp job, it seemed reasonable at the time when done, two days latter the boss went bankrupt, he was well aware of what I had done, but I was now not going back to finish the job, and neither was anyone else who knew the history. So we must work with the thoughts it might end up permanent, be it due to death, or any other unforeseen event.

There are of course temporary jobs, all I did for most of the jobs I have had during my life has been temporary, when one wires up containers to be used as workshops, one knows once job is completed all will be ripped out.

I remember a guy being demoted due to a container being picked up by a crane and it swung around pulling the supply cable out of the adaptable box and giving some one a shock. My thoughts were one should not pick up a container with a crane while the supply is still connected. However it was said the cable should have had cleats and if they had been fitted it would have not pulled out.

At the end of the day, we must leave the site safe, and if you have no junction box, before leaving to get one, the cables must be made safe, and I would not really worry about making an insulation tape termination while I went for parts, be that same day or next day, or even over the weekend, however I still know technically that is breaking the rules.

At the end of the day, we must leave the site safe, and if you have no junction box, before leaving to get one, the cables must be made safe, and I would not really worry about making an insulation tape termination while I went for parts, be that same day or next day, or even over the weekend, however I still know technically that is breaking the rules.

What we don't know, because the OP didn't say, was is this cable end live, or had potential to become/be made live, or neither of these and just a precaution 'in case'. The OP only mentioned sparks and fire..

In my opinion - a properly taped up cable end is perfectly satisfactory, to meet any of these needs, providing it is temporary, and not easily accessible - in a false ceiling, below a floor, or similar location not easily accessed. Any worker, coming across such a taped up cable end, would hopefully have the sense to realise that the tape indicated the cable was potentially live, and/or at least check it.

I'm sure all of us have come across a taped joint that has been in service for decades, having given years of trouble free life, I even recall one manfacurers SWA jointing system including a roll each of self vulcanising rubber (similar to self amalgamating) and plastic tape.

I wouldn't expect to find anything like that these days as a permanent solution but something short term, providing it is short term, then if done well and is secure I wouldn't have too much of an issue with it
1711017476358.jpeg

I'm sure all of us have come across a taped joint that has been in service for decades, having given years of trouble free life, I even recall one manfacurers SWA jointing system including a roll each of self vulcanising rubber (similar to self amalgamating) and plastic tape.

Me too - for a resin filled, armoured cable joint.

I had a discussion is the void under floor boards an enclosure? I see there is a problem in that there is nothing to indicate there are electrics enclosed, but one does need a tool to access.

I personally feel it is wrong, as all to easy for some one to feel under the boards not expecting to find wiring.

But self vulcanising rubber or self amalgamating can not be removed by finding end and unwrapping like insulation tape, so it needs a tool to remove it, so it likely complies as the insulation tape over the top when removed does not expose live parts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back