Terminating cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon All
Please can you clarify something for me? I need to terminate some cables in a void and I am trying to work out best practice for this. As the void will be filled and a skirting board placed ontop, it won't be accessible. Do I need to use maintance free (wago connectors) or would choc box and insulating tape be sufficient.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Small adaptable box and correctly crimped joint is the only correct way IMO. I take it none of the cables will be <50mm behind any part of the skirting ?

can't you identify where the cables come from and disconnect there?

Afternoon All
Please can you clarify something for me? I need to terminate some cables in a void and I am trying to work out best practice for this. As the void will be filled and a skirting board placed ontop, it won't be accessible. Do I need to use maintance free (wago connectors) or would choc box and insulating tape be sufficient.

Many thanks

Wago don't make maint free connectors, do they?

What did the cables power before you stopped needing them?

Sponsored Links
Where does the oap suggest the cables are redundant?

You will need access to the joins, back box and falt face plate?

Weren't wago in the process of getting their kit updated to the Brit standard for mf?

You will need access to the joins, back box and flat blank face plate?

Weren't wago in the process of getting their kit updated to the Brit standard for mf?

Afternoon All

Many thanks

Yes, they do.

You will need access to the joins, back box and flat blank face plate?

He said terminate in a void, won't be accessible.

Wago have brought out a MF box so connectors are only MF when in the box.

Afternoon All

Many thanks

Yes, they do.

No they don't, only maint free when enclosed in MF Box. :)

SF's making things up, again..

It's nice to see that stupid signature has been removed due to popular demand from the mods :mrgreen:

WAGO on their own aren't maintenance free, but when used inside a WagoBox then they are maintenance free and the box has the MF logo as of October this year.

It sounds as if you are assuming that the OP is familiar with electricians' terminology/jargon - which I would suggest most non-electricians are not. I would guess that to the vast majority of the general public, 'terminate' means 'to end' - which, in this context would very probably mean that there were some unconnected ends of cables (hence 'redundant') that (s)he wanted to deal with safely/appropriately (c.f. 'capping off' an usused pipe). If they were talking about 'joining' a cable to something else (another cable,an accessory or whatever), I think that nearly all members of the general public would talk in terms of something like 'connecting' (or even just 'joining'), not 'terminating'.

However, as always, only the OP can tell us what (s)he actually means by 'terminate'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back