tapping pipes under floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved house. Everytime we have the central heating on there is a constant tapping from the a number of pipes under the upstairs floorboards. It is pretty much constant, it will go off now and then but mostly it is tapping away and is very annoying. Is there anything we can do?

Sponsored Links
The sound will be that of pipes expanding and contracting in tight notches under your floorboards

Suggestions In order of preference

Take your boards up and :

1 Cut deeper notches, or if you want to cheat>

2 Spread some talc around [I'm told this eases the friction] Grease of some description may do the same or

3 Turn your telly up so you dont hear it :evil:

If you can lay your hands on some scraps of felt (the brown stuff formerly used as carpet underlay and insulating wrap) try to put a bit of that between each pipe and the joist or board that it rubs against. You can't make felt rub!

Right on John...............it`s called tubular felt and it`s at plumbers merchants ..always used it under pipes ;)

Sponsored Links
Q. Where can I get felt?

A. At a plumbers merchants.

Good to know :LOL:

JohnD said:
Q. Where can I get felt?

A. At a plumbers merchants.

Good to know :LOL:
you could try Adam W`s Cottage ;) too :LOL:

many thanks for the advice, I will rip up the floorboards and upset the mrs!!!

thanks for advice on this one, i have pulled up some floorboards and found one of the pipes to be sat on the joist. i cut away at it so it no longer touchesd and this has cured it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back