Taps & hoses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just fitted some new basin taps. There was no problem apart from the flexible steel braided hoses that appear to be a compression fit. When removing them, I was expecting a fibre washer or similar but instead, someone had applied some sort of sealant inside. When I went to refit the hoses, I wound plenty of PTFE around the threads (there was none when I removed the old taps), and tightened them up. The hot tap seems fine but I really had to wind on the nut onto the cold tap to stop it leaking. Is this a problem or is this typical? Should there really be a fibre washer?

Sponsored Links
There should be a fibre washer although I have purchased flexis from Screwfix that have rubber washers inbuilt and had no problems :)

BAHCO said:
There should be a fibre washer although I have purchased flexis from Screwfix that have rubber washers inbuilt and had no problems :)

OK, so sounds like I'm missing the fibre washers. I wonder if I can buy these as separate items?

phykell said:
I wonder if I can buy these as separate items?
Normally a rubber washer type,a plumber merchants will sell them.

Sponsored Links
why do tap connectors have fibre rather than rubber washers? Is fibre less likely to deteriorate than rubber?

probably cheaper

I use ones now that are just a clear bit of plastic

peter anderson said:
why do tap connectors have fibre rather than rubber washers? Is fibre less likely to deteriorate than rubber?

Possibly fibre swells slightly and fill any gaps better. Didn't they used to make them from asbestos though?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back