Taps sound like toilet flushing

Is there an isolation valve on the pipe feeding the toilet? Looks similar to this:
upload_2020-4-11_22-41-37.jpeg

If so, turn so the slot is across the pipe, then try the tap, if it makes the noise, then issue elsewhere, if not,then you’ve found your problem.

Sponsored Links
If you ain’t touched nothing or had work done it’ll be the ballcocks in toilet or tank.
If not you need a plumber as could be anything from a stone at the stopcock to a slightly leaking washing machine valve.
trust me I’ve seen it all!

What you are hearing sounds like water running through a partially closed valve. As @Alec_t mentions, find you mains stop tap and check that it's fully open, if not then open it all the way and then turn it back 1/4 turn.
Also check under your sink/basin for the valve that @Chris_W mentions and make sure the slot in the centre is fully in line with the length of the valve. You may have high water pressure and these have been turned down to restrict the flow a little and stop splashing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone for your relies, I live in a housing association flat and so can't get a plumber right now if not an emergency, and was a bit worried incase the toilet water was maybe getting mixed up with drinking and bath water! I will check for those valves, thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back