Tardy Plasterer.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Without doubt my plasterer is doing a superb job in terms of flat, blemish free finishes. What he is less good at is turning up and getting on with the job. He came to me through recommendation from people who had small 1 or 2 day jobs where his plastering skills were on show but his poor timekeeping skills were not.
My project is a two up two down terrace which I stripped to bare brick, so the plasterer's scope was board and skim ceilings and dot/dab and skim walls. He started the job about 4 weeks ago and is probably around 2/3 finished. I've heard every excuse / reason going for his absences and have heard how he'll work late / weekends to catch up a hundred times. I don't want to sack him as it'll probably take longer to find someone else and as I say he is doing a superb job as far as quality of work is concerned. I haven't paid him anything yet but getting finished and paid doesn't appear to be an issue. Not sure what I can do to hurry him along. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
david1805 said:
Without doubt my plasterer is doing a superb job in terms of flat, blemish free finishes. What he is less good at is turning up and getting on with the job. He came to me through recommendation from people who had small 1 or 2 day jobs where his plastering skills were on show but his poor timekeeping skills were not.
My project is a two up two down terrace which I stripped to bare brick, so the plasterer's scope was board and skim ceilings and dot/dab and skim walls. He started the job about 4 weeks ago and is probably around 2/3 finished. I've heard every excuse / reason going for his absences and have heard how he'll work late / weekends to catch up a hundred times. I don't want to sack him as it'll probably take longer to find someone else and as I say he is doing a superb job as far as quality of work is concerned. I haven't paid him anything yet but getting finished and paid doesn't appear to be an issue. Not sure what I can do to hurry him along. Any thoughts?

Lets get this straight here....

A plastrerer does a superb job..doesnt ask you for a penny and you still aint happy. Think i might have done a few decorating jobs for you David.

Cmon mate....you know the guy is gonna finish the job as he aint asked for any money.
Obviously he aint that great time-wise so chalk this one down to experience and get someone else next time.

Sorry slowfade, I'm of a different opinion, taken from a commercial and word-of-mouth point of view.

David1805 is at risk of not getting the appreciation of his customers due to the lack of time-keeping of his subcontracted plasterer, no matter how well he does his plastering.

David, I think the best way (but is hard, we know, had the same situation once with an excellent floor fitter) is to explain this issue to your plasterer: i.e. not showing up on time, means 'bad' practise, means possibly not getting other jobs (also for him) from this customer or any of their friends, family etc. Short term versus long term relationship - both between you and your customer and him and you.

Just my 2p

slow fade said:
Lets get this straight here....

A plastrerer does a superb job..doesnt ask you for a penny and you still aint happy.

Ok, so he's doing a good job and he hasn't asked for any money, great, couldn't be better.

But, Slow Fade, he's 4 weeks in and still has a good way to go to finish - how long you would give him? The implication is that so long as he continues to do a good job then he has as long as he wants! I'm fully aware that the job will get done sooner or later but at the end of the day I can't let it run for ever.

Sponsored Links
I aint arguing with you David.
In fact Im backing you up as you seem to have made your mind up that your gonna stick with him.If you'd really wanted to replace him you would have done it by now.
david1805 said:
I don't want to sack him as it'll probably take longer to find someone else and as I say he is doing a superb job as far as quality of work is concerned.

As I said.Chalk this one up to experience and lose his phone number at the end of this job.

not.that im an employer.

but why not pin him against a wall and threaten him with a glasgow kiss

Explain your situation and what it means to you and the job(s) then ask him how he thinks YOU can help him to make sure HE achieves your target. If that means going round to his house every morning with a coffee and a bagel then get on with it. Might just require an early morning call.

Talk to him, start working out what he responds to and then rest knowing that you've got a good relationship with a cracking tradesman.

Failing that buy him a watch and lock him in the house until he's finished!

Please read the forum rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back