task manager

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my pc seems to take ages to open up firefox amonst other apps, is ther any way i can use the task manager to delte some rubbsih that i dont need to open up when i turn my pc on?

Sponsored Links
If you're running vista you can change which services automatically start, BUT you must know what you're doing before you change these!! Otherwise bad things can happen, like your shoes suddenly becoming too tight. :LOL:

The other thing you can do is to remove programs from the startup folder this will prevent these programs from running, but again you need to be sure that this is what you want to do.

Using Task manager to stop a program running will NOT stop it from starting when you next boot up.

A simple way to control what starts when you boot up is to download and install Ccleaner
When installing be careful because it tries to install Yahoo toolbar, by default, the install box is ticked, just untick it and procede.

When open, go to Tools -> Startup and look at all that is in the list.
Your security programs MUST be left on but most others can be disabled. Any that you do not know about, just check them out here:
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
Type the item in the search box and then decide if you need it running as soon as you boot up.

dave

Using Task manager to stop a program running will NOT stop it from starting when you next boot up.

A simple way to control what starts when you boot up is to download and install Ccleaner
When installing be careful because it tries to install Yahoo toolbar, by default, the install box is ticked, just untick it and procede.

When open, go to Tools -> Startup and look at all that is in the list.
Your security programs MUST be left on but most others can be disabled. Any that you do not know about, just check them out here:
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
Type the item in the search box and then decide if you need it running as soon as you boot up.

dave

you can control service startup from vista task manager.

Sponsored Links
To control which programs automatically start up, you could try the System Configuration Utility embedded in Windows:

Start > Run, and in the ‘open’ field, type: msconfig and hit OK. Then select the Startup tab. From here you simply tick or untick which programs you want to auto start on boot up.

You will need to reboot if any changes are made. Obviously you should have some understanding of what is listed, so as to avoid deselecting a critical program.

To control which programs automatically start up, you could try the System Configuration Utility embedded in Windows:

Start > Run, and in the ‘open’ field, type: msconfig and hit OK. Then select the Startup tab. From here you simply tick or untick which programs you want to auto start on boot up.

You will need to reboot if any changes are made. Obviously you should have some understanding of what is listed, so as to avoid deselecting a critical program.

You can't disable any critical "apps" from this list, in fact in terms of OS boot, there's no such thing as a critical app.

Correct. However, I meant critical programs to the user, not the OS. For example, an outboard sound card would be a critical device if you used your pc as a home studio. So this should not be disabled on startup.

You could reasonably assume that for example MS Office, Adobe Update Manager, some device monitoring programs etc.. are not startup critical and therefore could saftley be disabled on startup.

The key is to see if you can recognise the programs from the list, and make a judgment.

Sponsored Links
Back